OUCH!! Not for the squeamish.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just wanted to post this to make you guys aware that it is extremely important to get swift treatment if you see blood in your urine.

It started on 2:00 on 22 October with what I thought was just dark, concentrated urine.

Then I got discomfort and the liquid got redder until, by 4pm it was bright red with huge clots in it. At 2:30 I rang NHS direct who told me to go to the GP pronto.

By 4:15 I was in the Dr's, getting a sample checked. It was positive for all the signs of infection.

I can't believe how quickly this thing progressed.

I was given a two week course of 200mg of Trimethoprim twice daily.

Then, this morning, I had one of these:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=flexible+cystoscopy

Made me yell out and swear. :oops:

Plus one of these immediately afterwards:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=digital+rectal+examination

Peeing blood again.... :eek: and my bladder feels like it's been in the ring with Mike Tyson.

Now have to have a CT scan on kidneys to eliminate tumours as a cause.

I am hoping it is just a bad infection, and am not expecting it to be cancer, but please, please get yourself checked out IMMEDIATELY if you see blood in your urine, even if it is just a spot or two.

Sponsored Links
Good Luck with the scan SS.
It goes without saying that if anyone has ANY concerns about their health they should leave their pride on the doorstep and go see your GP
I joined a new practice, (strange term for someone who is supposedly an expert!), a few months ago and was told I would have to have a basic medical 'consult'. Turns out I had a full MOT! Blood, urine, stool, lung function test, height, weight, and BMI. Blood tests covered everything unless I had any objections to any of the tests, (e.g. AIDS, HIV etc), They even tested for the PSA one to check for prostrate cancer. Passed them all with flying colours even though I am on medication for an ongoing kidney problem and was told for a 56 year old smoker I had the lung function result of a 35yr old non-smoker!

The fact it came on so quick would suggest that it isn't something serious - just an infection. I'm sure you'll get it sorted when they find out the bacterial strain. Do you have a temperature though? Water infections usually have high temperatures.

Thanks guys.

I too have regular PSA checks, as my pituitary is up the creek, so I'm under the care of endocrinology...

Don't ask what's wrong with me, it's far easier to tell you what still works as it should!!

Heart, mouth, lungs, liver, kidneys. some digits and the skin. Think that's an accurate list of which bits of my body still work as they did when I was born... ;)

conny, glad you passed all your tests!

joe, didn't have a temperature at all, a bit odd.

I'll just have to wait for the scan and see if they find anything.

Sponsored Links
The fact it came on so quick would suggest that it isn't something serious - just an infection. I'm sure you'll get it sorted when they find out the bacterial strain. Do you have a temperature though? Water infections usually have high temperatures.

JUST an infection, Clearly Joe you have never had a UTI, believe me 'just an infection' is very much an understatement.

I've had both a kidney and bladder infection some years ago now, jesus are they painful, getting the urge to pee every 60secs yet when you go theres nothing there, you sit back down and there comes the urge again arghhh! :evil:

When you do manage to pass water it burns like hell, like peeing boiling water......and of course lets not forget the clotted blood mixed in with it :eek: , a week or 2 on antibiotics soon clears it up though and you long for the day you can pee normally.

Now kidney stones, don't get me started on them, anyone here had one and had to pass it.........i have and it ain't nice, it felt like a half brick so was shocked when it dropped out, about the size of a small pea, bought tears to my eyes though

Just wanted to post this to make you guys aware that it is extremely important to get swift treatment if you see blood in your urine.

I am hoping it is just a bad infection, and am not expecting it to be cancer, but please, please get yourself checked out IMMEDIATELY if you see blood in your urine, even if it is just a spot or two.
Not pleasant mate! Have been there twice and didn't like it one bit. Got up at around 2am needing to pee and at 4am I was still standing there in absolute agony unable to pass water. Then felt slow movement followed by absolute shock when, as far as I could see, only blood came out. Was away from home, and because the discolouration got less and less, postponed a docs visit until I got home 2 days later. By that time all was clear but still the doc referred me to the local hospital where I got the procedure described in the first of secures links. Turned out to be a bladder infection and for some reason, the consultant gave me a letter stating that my condition was not cancer.
All that said, do take Secures advice if you spot the tiniest spot of blood passing from either orifice.

Then, this morning, I had one of these:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=flexible+cystoscopy

Made me yell out and swear. :oops:

Plus one of these immediately afterwards:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=digital+rectal+examination[/QUOTE]
the thought make me cross my legs and sit done

Do not repeat the prefered option as my work mate did. half what you've had down the usual
full canteen full volume,
him speaking loud to compensate,
silent canteen
" I'd rather have it up the arse than down the throat" still on full volume

Now kidney stones, don't get me started on them, anyone here had one and had to pass it.........i have and it ain't nice, it felt like a half brick so was shocked when it dropped out, about the size of a small pea, bought tears to my eyes though

My ex Father in Law suffered from kidney stones. A giant of a man, I saw him in tears once, through the kidney stones. Doc had given him a course of medicine to take which cause the stones to break up (he had uric acid stones) and the only way out of his body was through peeing. :eek:

My ex Father in Law suffered from kidney stones. A giant of a man, I saw him in tears once, through the kidney stones. Doc had given him a course of medicine to take which cause the stones to break up (he had uric acid stones) and the only way out of his body was through peeing. :eek:

I had mine about 10 years ago so forgotten most of the detail but i seem to remember 3 ways of getting the stone out, sit in a bath of water while they pass sonic waves through it and through you to break up the stone into managable bite size pieces :D but this can be dangerous as it makes your internal organs vibrate and could/will cause internal bleeding, i think the other was to blast them with some sort of hand held weapon held against your side with some of that jelly stuff and the other was just to wait till you passed it out...............guess which one they chose? :evil:

I spent a week at the city on the renal ward, got 2 tubes inserted into my upper arm, one for codeine the other for morphine, alternated every hour or whenever i needed pain relief, could of been sooner, sometimes later and i remember the consultant telling me the pain i will feel will be the same as giving birth........no lie, thats what he said :eek:

A week of peeing through a tea strainer hoping to catch the damn thing, thought it was never gonna come till one day the stone moved out of my kidney and somewhere on the way to my bladder, now that was pain quick get the morphine................arhhhhh relief :D :D , then a few days later it was time for the final push............arghhhhh NURSE....MORPHINE.....NOW!!!, tea strainer at the ready and and and and and and..........KLANG....out it comes......arhhh relief at last.

2 extra days in hospital with no pain relief means its all out with no debris left in and thats it, i gave birth to a pea sized kidney stone, never did see it again, they put it in a test tube and send it away to be analized for its composition..............i could of told them that........kebab meat and stella!

Once you've had them you'll have them every 10 years the consultant said, its coming round again soon :eek:

Had the CT scan on Thursday.

Had a bit of a discussion with the nurse when she asked if I was allergic to anything.

I had an injection a few years back and suffered severe anaphylaxis. Virtually died.

So, I wanted to check this injection did not contain any of the constituants of the other. Unlikely, but I wanted to be sure. I was made to feel a bit of nuisance. I asked them to check my notes.

"Oh, we don't have your notes, we're just an outpatient department"...

So they rely on patients to remember stuff like that???

This allergy is SO important, they've put it on the front page of all my notes - IN RED!

In the end, I demanded they contact the pharmacy to check.

The jab made me feel extremely hot in the head, then I got a metallic taste in the mouth, then, as part of the injection was a diuretic, I had an incredible urge to pee.

But I was stuck on the table about to be scanned.... :eek:

Eventually, it was over. What they didn't warn me was that when I went for the first time, it would be incredibly uncomfortable afterwards. Maybe because I was bursting and the bladder emptied with such force and speed, I don't know, but it was not pleasant. :cry:

They also didn't warn that I would need to pee at very short notice for the next couple of hours or so. So we left the hospital, took a very short drive to Sainsbury's (literally two minutes), then I was bursting again. JUST made it in time.

Now I've got to wait for the scan results. At least the bleeding has stopped now.

I'll never forget the words of the consultant when I had the cystoscopy.

As I looked at the screen upon which were the images of urinary tract....

Me: "What's that lumpy thing that's bleeding badly?"

Her: "That's your prostate. Don't worry....." :eek:

I'll never forget the words of the consultant when I had the cystoscopy.

As I looked at the screen upon which were the images of urinary tract....

Me: "What's that lumpy thing that's bleeding badly?"

Her: "That's your prostate. Don't worry....." :eek:

Have a template biop of the prostrate then the bugger bleed's.

My plasterer ignored the warnings, he just kept taking paracetomal he bought over the counter, after the best part of two years he reluctantly went back to his doctor then into hospital where they removed his bladder and made a new one from his intestines, if he had only gone sooner.

Sponsored Links
Back