out of date multi finish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a bag of multi which was 1 week out of date. Hadn't plastered for 2 months thought i'd do a wall. Figured the worst that would happen is it would set a bit quicker. Anyway it didnt and my rush to get it on the wall was unfounded.

Just wondering what does happen to out of date multi finish? Does it go bad all of a sudden or does it rapidly loose workability over a period of a week or 2.

I know the date on the bag depends on storage conditions before and after buying the plaster!

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
it sets just as youve aid on the 1st hawk full or if your really lucky it goes off in the bucket just as youve taken the mixer out, :rolleyes:

We've sold Browning about 12-14 months out of date. Customers still took it, even when we told them it was out of date. These weren't DIYers either.

I've risked it a couple of times with out of date multi, and I agree it's probably not best practice.
When I have chanced it, I've usually de-risked it a bit first.
I use some if it when setting beads and see how it behaves.
If it's still ok, then I'll use it on the main job - same day.

Sponsored Links
I am working on a job that I was on a few years ago that is still empty and there was a bag of dry wall adhesive dated Sept 2012 and I mixed it up and used it and it didn't go off for 55 mins.... ,There's a bag of multi there too with the same date but I am not gonna risk using that ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back