Outbuilding adding a light and socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i have a brick workshed with just a double plug socket, which the previous owner had a plug in light and no light on the ceiling.

I wanted to add 2 lights - 1 inside and 1 led flood light, and was going to run a feed from the double socket to a junction box, and all the wires from a 2 gang switch and 2 lights to there, someone told me not to use a junction box, so whats the best way?

Sponsored Links
I'd use a switch fuse. You can then fuse it down to something sensible for a lighting circuit. If it was just one light the switch would act as the light switch but in your case you'll want a second double switch and this one will just be an isolator.

Switched (or unswitched as you are going to install additional switches anyway) FCU with 3A fuse fed from the back of the socket, then wire the lighting in 1mm T&E:

sfcu.jpg

You can also get them without the switch, which would be fine if you are installing additional switches anyway.

I suspect nickjb meant that, rather than one of these:

swtichfuse.jpg

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back