Outbuilding advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all we currently have an old out building wich over the years we have converted into a sitting room of sorts put a few windows and doors in that was donated to us from a friend and rendered the outside we have power to it, its basically used as somewhere to sit in summer whilst in garden the advice im after is for the inside as we never actually really finished that as was just seen as a shed lol it has a wicker 3 piece sofa in a little stereo n tv etc... it has a standard concrete floor and for brick walls the front wall consits of the door in the middle windows to the sides the front wall and the 2 side walls are bone dry well as far as i can see but the rear is seriously damp no major worry as just initially a shed its not attached to the house in anyway im looking for advice in what i could do with the walls make it more complete i think plaster is out of the question with the rear wall in the state its in would you guys render inside ? line it out with some sort of kingspan ? or i believe there is some sort of plastic type sheets that slot together ? but i feel that would look some what cheap i dont think repairing the rear wall is at all possible i suppose at the start rebuilding it would have been best bet but back then we initailly wasnt going to build this sitting room type of thing untill doors n windows got donated an we had a slight brain storm Many thanks guys excuse the spellings grammar :)

Sponsored Links
excuse the spellings grammar :)
No - your post is far too hard to read.

If you don't believe that, print it out, and give it to someone to read to you out loud, with no studying it first and without pausing anywhere except where you have commas, full stops or exclamation marks, and see how it sounds.

And what's with all the "as far as i can see", "im looking for advice in what i could do" etc?

It's just sheer laziness and lack of interest in doing a proper job on your part.

I have to agree with BAS, I cant make head nor tail out of it.

Is there an actual question in there somewhere?

I cannot tell for the lack of spacing between sentences enabling me to identify where they end/start.

I suggest you ask your question without the rambling.

A picture outside and inside would be the most beneficial.

For the hard of learning : Damp rear wall how do I solve this?

Sponsored Links
Yep, no point doing anything unless you sort out the damp wall, it must come from somewhere - fix it!

Is there anything resting against it that wall that would cause it?

Is it a roof/guttering problem?

Is it "rising damp" with no DPM?

excuse the spellings grammar :)
No - your post is far too hard to read.

If you don't believe that, print it out, and give it to someone to read to you out loud, with no studying it first and without pausing anywhere except where you have commas, full stops or exclamation marks, and see how it sounds.

And what's with all the "as far as i can see", "im looking for advice in what i could do" etc?

It's just sheer laziness and lack of interest in doing a proper job on your part.

What an arrogant, stuck up reply.

Well yes, our BAS is arrogant and he is stuck up (his own backside for most of the time) but all his faults every street needs a nosey neighbour and for the record though Newby & Clueless, the post was crap, I got to line three before I drifted off and scrolled down the page. If you want the best out of the forum then put a little effort into your post. There are plenty of other well written questions or queries that make posts like this one too much effort.

Well yes, our BAS is arrogant and he is stuck up (his own backside for most of the time) but all his faults every street needs a nosey neighbour and for the record though Newby & Clueless, the post was crap, I got to line three before I drifted off and scrolled down the page. If you want the best out of the forum then put a little effort into your post. There are plenty of other well written questions or queries that make posts like this one too much effort.

It was a simple polite request for some advice, is that not what this forum is about? Not to judge each post on it's grammar.

Jim,

I think the point here is that the 'stream of consciousness' style of your original post is extremely difficult to read.

I belong to this forum more to learn than to offer help, I don't have the skills or experience to offer very much help to be honest, but I learn vast amounts from reading other people's posts and the subsequent answers.

I got three lines into your post before I gave up.

The English language is a beautiful thing, capable of describing everything from a wooded glade carpeted with bluebells to how to rebuild an SU Carburettor for a 1955 Morris Minor. But, without proper spelling and punctuation it quickly becomes a meaningless stream of letters and symbols capable of describing precisely nothing.

Almost without exception the people on this forum are here to help and learn in equal parts, but if they can't understand the question, what can they do?

It was a simple polite request for some advice, is that not what this forum is about? Not to judge each post on it's grammar.
I'm not judging their grammar, though can see you may think that, the fact is if you want quality advice you need to do a quality post.

Hi all
We currently have an old out building which over the years we have converted into a sitting room of sorts, put a few windows and doors in that were donated to us from a friend and rendered the outside.
We have power to it, its basically used as somewhere to sit in summer whilst in garden.
The advice I'm after is for the inside, as we never actually really finished that as was just seen as a shed.
It has a wicker 3 piece sofa, a little stereo and a tv etc...
It has a standard concrete floor and for brick walls the front wall consists of the door in the middle, windows to the sides.
The front wall and the 2 side walls are bone dry, well as far as i can see, but the rear is seriously damp.
No major worry as initially a shed its not attached to the house in anyway.
I'm looking for advice in what I could do with the walls to make it more complete
I think plaster is out of the question with the rear wall in the state it's in. Would you guys render inside ?
Line it out with some sort of kingspan or ,I believe there is some sort of plastic type sheets that slot together ?
I feel that would look some what cheap
I don't think repairing the rear wall is at all possible
I suppose at the start rebuilding it would have been best bet but back then we initially weren't going to build this sitting room type of thing
Then doors and windows were donated and we had a slight brain storm Many thanks guys

better but not perfect

as said by others you need to fix the damp on the back wall first as any thing you do will be wrecked in short order by the damp

How on earth does telling you that your writing style makes your post far too hard to read mean that I have an exaggerated sense of my own importance or that I'm conceited?

Are mattylad, FMT and Nigel_Cro also arrogant and stuck up?

As I said, try a simple test - print it out, and then ask someone who has never seen it before to read it out exactly as it is written, and see how they get on with it. If they could read it to someone else who has also never seen it that would be even better.

Personally, I am both arrogant and stuck-up!

It is being so perfect that has got me this far in life...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back