Outbuilding: Dehumidifier or extractor fan or both?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm converting a brick built shed into an office. I've recently had it insulated (walls and ceilings) and plasterboarded. It's now pretty well sealed up. The size is 10m2.

I'm also putting in an electric convection heater that will be timed to come on early morning and keep the office heated through the day but then off in the evening and night.

The office will be used Monday - Friday during daytime.

My intention was to use a dehumidifier to control condensation but not sure if this is enough.

Should I install a timed humidistat extractor fan as well or instead of a dehumidifier?

I can't quite work out the best way of keeping condensation and damp out while balancing cost and energy efficiency.

I haven't done a humid test but I noticed this morning the inside of the window was wet so there will be an issue.

Can someone advise please. I'd prefer not to have to install a fan considering I've already plasterboarded but will do it to avoid serious issues further down the line. I live in South Wales if that helps with advice re humidity.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A dehumidifier should do the job nicely, and you will be able to see how much water is being collected.

TBH now you have insulated it, unless there is water ingress somewhere, I wouldn't expect condensation to be a problem once it's dried out, unless you will be creating moisture by boiling a kettle / showering / working out / drying washing / etc in there.

If it's a single glazed window some condensation forming on it just from your breathing may occur but I wouldn't expect that alone to create a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back