BATHROOM EXTRACTOR FAN OR DEHUMIDIFIER WHATS THE BEST ??????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom is awash with condensation after using the shower, we do open the windows but now with central heating on this seems a bit pointless and also the bathroom is freezing.
Now I understand we should still open the window a little, but I am hoping to get an extractor fan this week by a qualified electrican.
I am now wondering will this solve a lot of the condensation thing or would a dehumidifier, obviously not placed in the bathroom, but close by on the landing, or plugged in on the landing and placed in bathroom, would be a better option.
What are the views in general of the users of the forum.
You have never let me down before so am hoping for some helpfull advice. I know a good extractor would cost a bit so dont mind the cost of this but there would be obviously some mess and disruption and I could just be wasting my money. I will wait to see what views DIYNOT comes up with. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: ;)

Sponsored Links
I have twin fans in my shower room and zero condensation, dehumidyfier is a waste of money.Make sure you have a vent on the house side for the fan to draw from.

Thanks for the replies all 2 who bothered sending them. My you lot must have bathrooms as dry as the desert sand.
To Foxhole, I dont know what you mean by a vent. We have an airbrick more or less in the shower area I thought this could have been removed and instead of wrecking the new tiling, the electrician could have possibly fitted the fan there, although he has said that an extractor fan should not go in that area above the bath.
Is this what you mean by a vent, so should we leave this alone.
Also I think the electrician thinks he will be fitting whatever extractor fan he decides to turn up, I dont want any, if we have to have this fitted with a bit of mess then I feel we might as well get a really good one.
Are there any particular ones that are better than others and would anyone recommend.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
Make sure that you get one (extractor) that has a long run on time after the light has been switched off. (I am presupposing that you are having it linked to the light in the bathroom)

If you have an air brick/vent as well as your extractor this will help the exchange of air in the bathroom as it will allow dry air to enter more easily. I deally the extractor should be mounted as far away from the vent as poss to allow more moist air to be expelled.

I went to a property the other day to look at a bathroom that has a mouldy ceiling, there were no windows but an extractor had been fitted, the only problem was that it ran on for about 30 seconds after the light was switched off allowing no time for it to be effective. :rolleyes:

Dehumidifiers do work but an extractor is more effective IMHO

Get a timer extractor fan and set to run on as long as possible, find one that expels the most litres per cubic meter. Mount it in the ceiling/wall as near to the source of steam as is possible.
When finished showering open the window fully whether it is cold or not, this will be by far the best way to disperse condensation. Cold air holds less water than warm air hence humidity.

my bathroom fan runs all the time the light is on, so almost always when the bathroom is being used.

Fresh air is drawn in under the bathroom door so does not chill the room like opening the window.

Not even the mirror steams up.

You need the run-on because the towels, bath and shower tray will still be wet when you have finished showering.

A Centrifugal fan is generally quieter and more effective than an axial fan. If you have ££ you can get one that goes in the loft with trunking.

It is an advantage not to have the electric fan directly above the bath or shower as the electrical safety rules are then more stringent (due to risk of splashing or squirting) so it works out more expensive.

You need a Three-pole isolator for servicing (fans accumulate dust and fluff) or repair. IMO it is best to put this above the bathroom door, outside the bathroom, where it is visible and accessible but will not be fiddled with accidentally and is out of reach of splashes and wet hands.

Be aware that some people have a psychological aversion to ventilation so they like to close windows and turn off fans. You can usually recognise them by the smell of mildew.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back