Condensation - Extractor or Dehumidifier?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Hope this is the correct place for posting!

Our bathroom has absolutely no ventilation (we have a window but it opens inwards and neighbours can see inside when we have it open) and as a result is full of mould all over the walls. We tried cleaning and wiping everywhere over with neat bleah, which worked, but it came back with a vengeance.......I have a little bit of money now and I would like to get rid of this problem as we'd like to get all the rooms re-decorated this year.

My question is, should I buy a dehumidifier or should I pay for someone to come and fit an extractor of some sort? If the latter, can anyone advise what type we are likely to require and possible estimates of costs, we are in Ashton-u-Lyne, Lancs/Gtr Manchester.

Hope someone can help point me in the right direction! :D

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/wiki/building:condensation_in_houses

You need an extractor fan.

The air exhaust route depends on how high up the bathroom is, what the walls are made of, if there is a loft above.

A 105mm hole can be made in a brick wall using a Core drill which can be hired for the day, a plastic liner duct is put through the hole and a backdraught and weather cowl fitted on the outside

Depending on the size of the bathroom, and whether you have a lot of showers, and if you have room for it, an in-line Centrifugal fan is more powerful and quieter than a small axial fan.

The fan should preferably be installed so that it comes on automatically every time the light is switched on, and runs-on for 20 minutes or so. this will generally keep the bathroom dry and free from damp, smells and condensation.

You can also buy fans which automatically come on when when they sense humidity, but this does not keep the bathroom as fresh.

Electrical work in bathrooms is subject to Building Regulations which require the work to be certificated and notified, the easiest way is to engage a recommended local electrician who is a member of a self-certification scheme (ask which one, and how long he has been a member, before asking for a quotation) who can deal with the paperwork at little cost. You can also arrange with the council yourself, but this works out much more expensive and time-consuming.

Some electricians will not want to climb far, but you can get extractor ducts that can be fitted from inside the building.

Avoid having an extractor fitted directly above a bath or shower as this requires more stringent and costly electrical safety conditions. It should be high up, close to the shower, and well away from the door (under which fresh air will be drawn in by the suction)

People who fit fans are not necessarily very good at redecorating so allow for this separately. The work will create dust and grit and the plaster may need to be repaired. The installation should be less than a day's work.

Thank you for your very detailed reply!

I would not actually be doing this myself, I will be looking for someone who can do the whole piece of work! :D

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Just a quick question - has anyone used the Myhammer website? I put an ad on there and have been quoted £80 for the job, do you think that this is reasonable?

Many thanks.

Bizarre how people can quote without actually seeing the job...it depends on how easy it is to route the electrics, whether you have a priceless tile finish etc.
Sure, anyone can drill a hole and bung a fan in for £80 - but its the finishing off and ducting that counts!
John :)

Bizarre how people can quote without actually seeing the job...it depends on how easy it is to route the electrics, whether you have a priceless tile finish etc.
Sure, anyone can drill a hole and bung a fan in for £80 - but its the finishing off and ducting that counts!

Yes I know....but I also have someone from our local authority's approved tradesman list coming round on Friday to quote, so I guess I can compare the two then? :D

Some good in-line centrifugal fans cost more than that, never mind the labour cost.

If you have room to put one in the loft above, or possibly an adjacant airing cupboard or similar, and exhaust through the wall, that will be a good job.

Putting a weedy axial fan in will be the minimal cheap option.

Yes, definitely do it that way.
Specify that you want a fan with a timer, (he should give you a choice of makes, prices and styles) and ask where the switch will be, point out your preferred location for the fan, ask if there needs to be any external ducting for the exhaust and how the job will be finished off.
There will be some mess and damage to the plaster - there always is - but if you want the fan to exit through wall tiles then finishing could be a problem.
Ask if the guy will use a core drill (much neater than drilling a chain of holes and bashing through). He may need a ladder if its high up, and he needs to determine how good and safe the access is if this is the case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back