Difference between a domestic and 'industrial' dehumidifier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a low end domestic electric dehumidifier (probably cheaper end but I've not got the specs to hand). It does well at keeping humidity in the shed down and drying closthes! Recently we have noticed so saturated wood and rafters between the kitchen and our undercroft. I can't see any continual leaking or leaks from the outside and so I've been trying to dry it out and see if it comes back. I'm still confident that there is no external leak but I'm struggling to dry out the central area after a week or so of running the domestic dehumidifier. I'm now considering hiring a more powerful dehumidifier from a local tool hire shop. Before I throw away £100 odd and a weeks worth of electricity I just wondered if anyone had any advice on whether this is a reasonable next step or if I'm being a twonk ? I realise this isn't much info to go on but thought I'd ask...

Sponsored Links
Bigger, noisier, uglier.

More likely to have a drain pump so you can run a hose and use it continually without having to empty a tank.

Can't you see where the water is coming from?

Can't you see where the water is coming from?

No it is under the kitchen sink and near the dishwasher but not near any junctions in the pipes and there is no sign of an issue in tyhe exterior wall so I am still working on the assumption that there was a 1 off bad leak and I'm hoping to dry it out and see if it comes back. I'm struggling to dry it out properly though. I don't think it is continually getting damp, because

a, I can't see any real candidate/suspect
b, the outside of the area is drying a little very slowly

so I think it is that I am struggling to dry it out properly rather than continual damp.

Sponsored Links
:LOL: I accept that but I can't find any sign of a persistent leak which is why I think it was a 'one off'/occasional thing. Most of the plumbing and drainage is initially inside a cupboard which wasn't dam/p wet and the flexi pipes are attached further away from the wet floor boards. If I could see the slightest sign of an obvious culprit I'd call a professional tbh but at the moment I think I'd be wasting my time and money. I want to see if I can dry it out and then see if it comes back. Since writing this I noticed a different thread saying industrial dehumidifiers are much more powerful so I think that probably is my next port of call...

Dehumidifier Is expensive solution compared with good ventilation which is free.What exactly is the problem your description is vague and ambiguous.

No I am very vague about the problem, largely because I can't see any cause for the leak and don't think it is continual. The question was meant to be very specific around whether a more powerul dehumidifier would be worth the money. The 'damp' is below kitchen cabinets and was above insulation in the undercroft so may have been there any length of time. Most of it is on 1 absolutely saturated short floorboard and I really wanted to dry it out before deciding next step. After a week or 2 of domestic dehumidifier it is still very damp though and so I am considering different options to dry it out and hoping for a cheaper way than renting a more powerful dehumidifier. I think I'll probably just bit the bullet, hire one for a week, and see how it goes.

When you come back, include photos of the damp areas and their surroundings

Dehumidifier sounds like the wrong tool for the job if you have one very damp spot on one floorboard. You're basically sucking all the water out of the air so the air can suck all the water out of one spot. I suggest you point a fan heater at the wet spot for half an hour and take it from there.

Oh and to answer the question, the difference is night Vs day. Unbelievably loud though, and you need to be able to seal the space off.

The ones I had were about the size of a washing machine.

A lot depends upon what your current dehumidifier is?
What is it's capability? can you google it's make/model and see how much water it is supposed to collect?

We have a large Meaco one (cost about £100) and it works very well.
Maybe yours is just pants?

"Dehumidifier sounds like the wrong tool for the job if you have one very damp spot on one floorboard. You're basically sucking all the water out of the air so the air can suck all the water out of one spot. I suggest you point a fan heater at the wet spot for half an hour and take it from there."

Doh! Many thanks for that. I'll give that a go first. That's embarrassingly obvious but really useful, cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back