Possible leak behind the bathroom wall, or moisture buildup?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I had a bit of a surprise when I walked into my bathroom today. A large bulge had appeared behind the paint. I cut into it with a knife and water came out, not allot of water but a small amount.
The paint has completely peeled off the dry wall, and the dry wall itself is wet, only in this one particular area. Now I'm not sure if this is because of a burst pipe, or perhaps its moisture soaking in from the outside wall (It has been raining for about 3 weeks straight). The toilet wall is an outside wall so I'm thinking that might be the most logical explanation. Or perhaps its a leak from upstairs although the ceiling is perfectly fine

Does anyone have any experience in this sort of thing that could maybe shine a light on it?

In the meantime I have placed my dehumidifier in the bathroom and turned the heating up in order to dry out the wet bit, my thinking is that if it does not dry out then its obviously a burst pipe?

I'v included a picture of the wall where the paint has peeled away from the dry wall

(Please note the picture is the wrong way round, the patch is vertical not horizontal)

Sponsored Links
I think your are on the right line, if the patch doesn't dry out it's likely a leak of some kind, especially if the rain and wind stops, otherwise you will have to wait a bit. When you say a leak from upstairs is there anything there that might leak, apart from a roof of course?...pinenot :)

Sponsored Links
Well I asked the woman upstairs and apparently the people above her had a leak a while ago, which made an awful mess of her ceiling, I think I have gotten off lightly. But doesn't explain how it would take so long to travel down to me.

I wont bother fixing the problem till I know the water won't come back!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back