Damp chipboard floor in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have just discovered that my shower has been leaking through the seal in my upstairs bathroom.

I didn't notice this as the wet part of the floor is behind a large unit, the only indicator i had was a small damp patch in the down stairs bathroom ceiling. I have moved the unit and peeled back the linoleum and the chipoard is soaked soaked badly as this has been going on for some time i feel. There is a little mold on the wall but nothing major.

Firstly, what is the best way to treat this? I assume i will have to get a dehumidifyer of some sort? I have never dealt with damp before so woudl really appreciate any suggestions. Am i better cutting the wet wood away now or leave it to dry?

Secondly, what is the best way to seal the shower screen? The screen sits along the baths edge, and where is meets the wall there is a rubber seal. The rubber seal isn't sitting flush with the wall anymore, hence the leakage.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Let the chipboard dry out and then have another look at it, you may get away with not replacing it as it is under a unit.

If the screen you are talking about is a hinging screen used on a bath (a bath screen) they are notorious for leaking, but normally this is very visible with water running down the outside of the bath and causing water marks on the wall and floor.

Check under the bath, look at the waste connection, the supply to the taps and also the seal around the bath edge.

Solution, fit a fixed screen and a curtain.

Thanks for the advice.

I will let it dry and see how we go. The wood looked and smelled pretty rotten however, so i will keep my fingers crossed

wet chipboard? pah, rubbish.

pull it up (this will also let the underfloor void dry) and replace with 18mm WBP ply which is waterproof, and stronger.

you will probably find you can break up the chipboard with your fingers and a teaspoon.

if it was me I would also put Cuprinol Green wood preserver on the floor joists below after they have dried out.

Chipboard is an awful material for flooring anyway, but it is pointless in a room that contains water.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back