Outbuilding Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick question... I'm planning to put electrics in to 6 outbuildings using 100m of armoured cable. Because of the situation it has to be on several spurs rather than a ring main from an existing shed unit which is wired by 6mm to the house unit, only a few metres away.

In each building there will be a double socket with a light plugged into one and the other for relatively low power tools etc. Nothing above 1kW anyway.

My question is whether to buy 1.5mm or 2.5mm cable. There's a fair difference in price, but don't want to go melting anything if I get it wrong!!

I'm thinking that because of the distance it would be silly to put large tools onto it anyway, so 1.5mm would do.

I know its a pretty basic system, but going for cheap and cheerful!! Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
I think you need an electrician :eek:

You will need more like 16/25mm cable, which at your distance will be £400-600 alone.

Then you'd need to consider exporting PME, and RCD requirements.

I know its a pretty basic system, but going for cheap and cheerful!! Any thoughts?

Good thing fire brigades and ambulance services do not do things on a cheap and chearful basis.

You need to get an electrician to design this for you and then install the materials that are needed and not those that are cheap and cheerful.

Sponsored Links
Funnily enough, by cheap and cheerful I didn't mean compromising safety! Just looking for a better way to run a 60w light in sheds rather than 50m extension leads lying all over the place!!

Thanks anyway, will get some advice from electricians.

Oh and one more thing, what size MCB would be best?
Annakyn - the answers to that, and other related things are here:

Please note - the above is not an attempt to blind you with science or anything - if you want to DIY this then you really do have to know and understand it all, because unlike decorating, gardening etc, with electrical work you simply cannot work to lower standards than a qualified electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back