Outbuilding - Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am currently musing over converting my outbuilding into a kitchen.
The current outbuilding is about 10m long and about 2 meters wide.

The outbuilding is combined into 3 rooms ending in an outdoor privvy.
I want to knock through he first 2 walls and leave the privvy to its own devices. The walls do not support the roof (which if aspestos cement sheet - but i would felt this and keep the roof as is) and contain no supporting electrics.

Basically my question is this. I want to create interior partition again the exisitng outer walls and a false level roof (the roof is slanted at 45deg) using 2x4 and plasterboard. A lot of folks have recommend using jabalite or insulation slabs as insulation but i recently converted my garage into a soundprrofed studio using 2x4, platerboard and 170mm rockwool insulation. Because the walls may be slightly uneven I feel the job would be better servered by rockwool for insulation.
What do you think?

I also understand that planning regs may be required to knock down interior walls. Can anyone give any guidance on that issue?

Any help would be great thx.

Sponsored Links
Youll need both planning and building regulations approvals. Planning first and building regs after. Best to phone them and get some idea of what they will / wont accept and the relevant forms.

Youll need both planning and building regulations approvals.

This is a very interesting issue.

I understand that planning is not req'd as the walls are interior.
Also however i understand from another source that if they are not supporting walls i dont need build regs either. My walls are like partitions in my outbuilding and so are attached to two walls. They do not however support the roof.

I dont know of course this is just what i've heard.

If anybody have any supporting/ opposing views i'd be interested. :D

Sponsored Links
If you are certain they arent loadbearing they building regs part A isnt required.. but you are converting a non habitable space into habitable thus have to comply with most of the other regs, electrics, heating etc

no the walls dont actually make contact with the roof.

outstanding.

i wont be installing any heating but i will be doing electric as i used to leccy a few years back.

unfortunalty i am not certified. one of the problems i might have is getting another leccy to certify my work?

i dont know if at this point i should as that question on the electics uk forum?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back