Outbuilding Partial Re-Wire - new colours mandatory?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to be replacing some of the wiring in the outbuildings, but hope not to have to replace all. The existing of course is Red/Black. Is it mandatory to use new colours for my work? My reading suggests that it maybe is, but yet old colour cable is still offered for sale. I would prefer not to have mixed colours outside the consumer unit.

Thanks in advance, Tony S

Sponsored Links
Wiring Regs require new colours.

Building Regulations require compliance with Wiring Regs or an equivalent level of safety.

My understanding is that maintaining red/black throughout an installation would not be less safe than mixed colours.

It will have to be marked as a deviation on your Installation or Minor Works certificates though.

Does a DIY permitted job require a minor works certificate ?If not where would there be any record?

Sponsored Links
Does a DIY permitted job require a minor works certificate ?If not where would there be any record?
Technically all work requires a certificate but there will still be no record any where else.

Minor works does not mean NOT notifiable.

Technically all work requires a certificate but there will still be no record any where else.
How does that work, I should create my own record as a form of certificate? I'm not clear who would ever want or need to see such a certificate or record. I should maybe clarify that this is DIY work that does not require notification or Building Warrant.

Thanks, I'll have a look at those. Even though I won't be able to carry out some of the tests it might make sense to have records of what has actually been done, just for my own records.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back