Adding a spur : Wiring colours

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I would like to add a spur to an existing circuit. I believe I can do this as it is exempt for Part P. I have a query re wiring colours. The existing circuit is in the old style colours.

Can I add a spur using new colour wiring? I assume I should/would have to label the consumer unit to state there are the two sets of wiring colours in the installation.

Can someone clarify the situation regarding mixing colours of wiring on existing circuits / new installations etc etc?

Many thanks

Harry

Sponsored Links
Yes you can.

Yes you should.

But more importantly how are you going to verify it is safe?

Hi,

I would like to add a spur to an existing circuit. I believe I can do this as it is exempt for Part P.
What room is it in?

Can I add a spur using new colour wiring?
Yes.

I assume I should/would have to label the consumer unit to state there are the two sets of wiring colours in the installation.

Can someone clarify the situation regarding mixing colours of wiring on existing circuits / new installations etc etc?
The latter first - you may not, and there is no point.

The former:

For full compliance with the Wiring Regulations you must use new colours.

For practical reasons (i.e. availability of old-colour cable) you may have no choice but to use the new colours.

If you believe that the safety benefits of not mixing the colours if you don't have to outweigh the fact that you would be departing from the Wiring Regulations, then use the old ones.

you will be required to label your consumer unit with a label as follows:

Caution
this installation has wiring colours to two versions of BS7671
great care should be taken before undertaking extension, alterationor repair
that all conductors are correctly identified.

available from your local electrical wholesalers in a pack of 5

Sponsored Links
that would be section 6 of the regulations I believe?
and he'll require a full set of test equipment, or the help of the LABC to test it..

Thanks for the replies.

The room is a bedroom.

As the safety verification of the spur, I could only check the connections by inspection. Given the it is a simple spur, would this not be sufficient for a DIY install.

I have just moved house and intend to have a new consumer unit fitted (by professional). The installation could be tested then with out the need to pay for a professional to route the cable and fit a socket in the wall.

If you're having a new CU fitted then why not just have the sparky do the spur it is pitance in the cost and he will be happy to test and certify his own work.

Still as mentioned earlier, you will need to use the new colours and the only way to truely confirm it is safe is through testing.

Just be sure to;

connect the brown with the reds, the blue with the blacks and the cpc with the cpc and sleeve them with green/yellow.

If you would like a quote for a new CU i'm happy to oblige!!!!!

But that testing can't, and isn't going to, happen.

Not by a DIYer for a spur. And LABCs don't play ball for notifiable work, let alone non-.

And quite honestly, although I would advise DIY electricians to invest in test equipment if they plan a lifetime of work, the fact is that as so many untested spurs have been installed by so many people for so many years and not caused any significant problems, DIY installation of untested spurs is patently quite safe.

Provided people use the right cable. check that they aren't spurring from a spur, check that their cables run in safe zones, check that they don't cock up the polarity, and check that all their terminations are sound and bearing onto metal not insulation, there's not much that can go wrong.

Still as mentioned earlier, you will need to use the new colours
If he doesn't it will be no less safe, and arguably safer.

He is under no obligation to use new colours - there is no "need to". If he has some red/black 2.5mm² he might as well use it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back