Is a sticker required on the Consumer Unit??

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current edition of the Wiring Regulations only requires a warning label where a nominal voltage of 230V to Earth (Uo) is exceeded, and therefore is no longer required where multiple phases of a 400/230V system are present in an enclosure or between simultaneously accessible enclosures.
What reg number is that
514.10.1- in the BGB they changed 'exceeding 230V' to 'exceeding 230V to earth'.

Kind Regards, John.

Thanks,i only have the 17th red version book, so i take it your saying the green book has now changed it back to as it was in the 16th.

Sponsored Links
514.10.1- in the BGB they changed 'exceeding 230V' to 'exceeding 230V to earth'.
Thanks,i only have the 17th red version book, so i take it your saying the green book has now changed it back to as it was in the 16th.
I don't know what was in 16th. In 17th (red book) it said "exceeding 230V" (which some people took to include 400V between-phases, when present), but in the 1st Amendment of 17th (green book) it says "exceeding 230V to earth".

Kind Regards, John.

Strange thing with three core - RYB used to get sleeved so Y sleeved R was SL & Blue left an another N colour rather than being sleeved Black as it should have been.
Because it was felt that the long-established use of blue for neutral in flex would be a good enough indicator.

How many RYB strappers have you seen with them all sleeved red?

Exactly ref the Blue N being a common thing to find

Mine were always three Reds (one true and two sleeved) as were many I came across too , but not always of course

I don't know what was in 16th.
In the 16th it called for warning notices if there was a nominal Uo exceeding 230V.

Now, I know that with 3-phase no phase exceeds 230V to earth.

But if you're concerned that people should be wary of voltages present which exceed 230V between phase and earth, shouldn't you be equally concerned about voltages which exceed 230V between any two points inside the enclosure?

Also, what's the RMS value of 2 or 3 sine curves 120° apart?

Sponsored Links
I think it`s oft been wondered if it was a deliberate change or merely a typo

I think it`s oft been wondered if it was a deliberate change or merely a typo
Which are you suggesting might have been a typo - the 'original' wording (per 16th and 17th) or the change in Amendment 1 of 17th?

Kind Regards, John.

Now, I know that with 3-phase no phase exceeds 230V to earth. But if you're concerned that people should be wary of voltages present which exceed 230V between phase and earth, shouldn't you be equally concerned about voltages which exceed 230V between any two points inside the enclosure?
That's obviously the question. One can but presume that the person who deliberately added the words 'to earth' in Amd 1 must have had an answer to that - it's not a change that could have happened 'by accident' or as the result of a typo! The most obvious 'answer', I suppose, is that a pd relative to earth represents a 'single contact' threat to an earthed person, whereas a pd between two points within the enclosure requires 'two-point contact'.

As we've discused before, a better question is why they should deem a warning necessary in either case - what cautions or precausions would one taken when opening an enclosure which contained pds of 400V (RMS) than one wouldn't take if the pds were 'only' 230V (RMS)?

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back