Decomissioning of shower circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I have an existing electrical circuit feeding an existing electric shower in a bathroom that I wish to decommission.

The existing installation complete with the shower circuit was signed off last year by an electrican to 16th edition regs.

The electric shower circuit is fed from the Consumer Unit via an RCD protected MCB. There is a 6mm old colour cable run from the Consumer Unit into the loft where it terminated into a Junction Box. There is then a new colour cable from the Junction Box to an isolator switch and then down the bathroom wall into the shower unit.

Please advise on the most appropriate method of decommissioning the circuit as a DIYer. If legal, as a DIYer I would like to remove the complete circuit including the cable into the Consumer Unit and removal and blanking off of the MCB.

Many Thanks

Need Help21

Sponsored Links
As a DIYer, am I allowed to open the Consumer Unit to disconnect the cable from the MCB

As a DIYer, am I allowed to open the Consumer Unit to disconnect the cable from the MCB

Yes, assuming this is your property you are talking about.

Please observe any warnings on the CU, things like 'Switch off at main switch before removing this cover'. If there isn't a label on there like that, pretend there is.

If you find any difficuilties just get back to us with piccies. ;)

Sponsored Links

Yes, of course.

But
1. turn the main switch on the consumer unit to OFF. This disconnects the line and neutral feeds to the box.
2. Be careful in there as the two thick cables into the main switch (that come from the meter) will still be live.
3. Disconnect the shower cable from the top of the mcb first and then the neutral and earth conductors.

It will be easier to leave the MCB in place. Just mark it as "spare" on the circuit schedule. That will save you having to take the busbar out - not easy for a novice.

I agree with the Toblerone One, leave the cable from the board up to the JB in the loft. You never know when it might come in handy!

Thanks people,

I intend opening the Consumer unit, disconnecting the cable from the circuit side of the MCB and recovering all if not part of the circuit.

Sorry to ask again, but can this be done legally as a DIYer?

Many Thanks

Need Help21

Why don't you simply keep the shower, as it's only a year old?
Makes a very useful energy efficient way of managing body odour. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back