Shower circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People,

My house has been signed off to 16th edition around a year and a half ago.

The CU has an RCD protected MCB marked "SHOWER". This feeds an existing electric shower in the bathroom.

There is a dedicated feed run from the CU to a junction box in the loft in 6 sq mm (or similar size I cannot recall). There is then a run in from the junction box in the loft to the electric shower in the bathroom in the same size cable.

The electric shower is soon to be removed as part of a bathroom revamp. I am installing a Stuart Truner pump in the airing cupboard as a presurising system to a mixer shower valve in the bathroom (which requires no electric power).

As a homeowner, am I permittted to:-

1. Remove the existing electric shower from the bathroom wall and remove the cable that runs from the electric shower to the junction box that is in the loft??

2. Can I replace the existing junction box in the loft with a Fused Connection unit with a suitable fuse rating for the shower pump and then make a new run of 2.5 sq mm to the shower which is to be installed in the airing cupboard.

This proposal will mean the existing MCB marked "SHOWER" will be protecting a run of 6mm to the Fused Connection Unit, then I will have a Fused Connection Unit with small fuse protecting a run of 2.5mm to the new shower pump.

If I cannot do the above as a homeowner how can I decomission the existing shower circuit?

Many Thanks

Need Help21

Sponsored Links
The FCU (which should be of the switched kind) would be much better in the airing cupboard, adjacent to the pump it feeds, flexed straight in. Extend the 6mm with some more of the same from the joint box to the FCU in the cupboard... probably best to drop down in YT2 (makes a better looking job than just clipped direct IMHO), fit 3A fuse to FCU

Disconnecting the existing shower from the joint box is non-notifiable... however extending the circuit into a new FCU for the pump is somewhat of a grey area IMHO... perhaps someone else will clarify? ban?

Disconnecting the existing shower from the joint box is non-notifiable? ban?

Is that the case bearing in mind that the cable from the joint box to the electric shower does ever so slightly come into the bathroom in the electric shower unit?

Not notifiable, you are not installing anything when you disconnect the cable in the joint box in the attic and rip out the shower and the short leg of cable to it

Edit: The only time ripping out coud become notifible is in certain situations if you have to install new cabling to recomplete the circuit

Sponsored Links
It would be appreciated if some more assistance could be provided on this proposal.

I believe I may have trouble locating a FCU or similar which will allow a 6mm cable as an input

Try this info on Part P.

You are ok to remove the part of the wiring after the JB.

You are also ok to add to an existing circuit which isn't in the bathroom (which it won't be as you have disconnected it).

You can add a spur outlet to an existing circuit.

Have a look at the link and make up your own mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back