Shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like some advice about wiring my new shower pump. I've removed the old electric shower and I plan to use the cable for my new Salamander shower pump. I intend putting a 30A junction box where the cable used to connect into the shower pull cord switch, from there I will run 2.5 twin and earth cable into a 30uA fused spur unit and wire the shower pump into this spur. Would like to know if this is acceptable or should I be looking another was to connect this shower pump?

Sponsored Links
If the existing cable to your proposed junction box is 6mm² or 10mm² you cannot then join 2.5mm² to it.
So where ever your FCU goes, the feed will be the same as your existing cable, and the load can then be 2.5mm².
If the shower was already RCD protected then you wont need 30mA rcd FCU.

Sponsored Links
Its an old board just a couple of large fuse plugs and and a very big power switch. Will check the cable size, but what you are saying I need to continue with the same size and because there is no MCB I'll need to use the fused spur unit?

Supply to an electric shower should be on its own circuit from the CU protected by its own MCB - depending on the load (size of the shower).
As your pump will be a lot less than the shower then the MCB will also smaller.

The supply goes to the switch then onto to the shower which you have removed.
If you remove the switch as well and put in an FCU instead, then you can run 2.5mm² from that. If you are extending the run and wish to put in a junction box, then you must extend using same size cable.
HTH

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back