Wiring for shower pump and jacuzzi bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a bathroom fitter who has just lost his spark!

Need a bit of assistance. Luckly this is in my own house!!

I need to wire up a jacuzzi bath and shower pump. Logical place to get the feed is from the airing cupboard as this is where the shower pump is going anyway.

I will make sure bath earthed etc and supply to the bath and shower each have their own fused spur.

My question is there is only one spur in the airing cupboard with no other access to the ring main without taking up floorboards carpets etc. This spur is already feeding the thermostat, 3 port valve and immersion via a coverered honeywell connector block ( looks a bit like spagetti junction and i would rather not touch)

Can i spur off the spur which is already there to feed my shower pump and the pump for the jacuzzi bath?

Sponsored Links
If the circuit was previously used for the immersion heater, but is no longer, then yes you can use it. If however, the immersion heater is still in use then no you can't.

Remember Part P applies and also the circuit should have 20A MCB and be RCD protected.

:oops: Sorry immersion is run off seperate feed my mistake.

The spur i want to come off feeds just for the central heating 3 port valve and cylinder thermostat so is currently in use but not taking the current of the immersion. Does this mean i can use this spur to feed my two pumps now or still a no no as spuring off a spur. 77Hope this makes sense.

If it is connected to the 3 port valve / thermostat it is almost certainly going to be from the central heating boiler circuit, personally I'd leave this well alone.

Sponsored Links
If the circuit was previously used for the immersion heater, but is no longer, then yes you can use it. If however, the immersion heater is still in use then no you can't.
"Can't", or "Shouldn't"?

Is there a reg that says the former?

Bit confused now. Two more questions.

Can i take it as said that i cant come off the spur that is feeding the three port valve and cylinder thermostat. If not why ?

Second. I know the immersion is rarely used , however, this is most likely to be used in conjunction with the shower pump as this will draw more hot wate .Seem to have two different opinions on whether this can be used. Anyone give a definative answer?

If neither of the above are feasiable what options do i have next. Cut into the ring main?

Can i take it as said that i cant come off the spur that is feeding the three port valve and cylinder thermostat. If not why ?
The reason I said best left well alone is there will only likely be control wires in there for the central heating/hot water etc. If you mess about with these it can turn into a nightmare!! There may not be a permanent live in there either, only on when the heating is called. You don't really want to add anything to your C/H circuit as if it were to go wrong it can take out your boiler/ch

Second. I know the immersion is rarely used , however, this is most likely to be used in conjunction with the shower pump as this will draw more hot wate .Seem to have two different opinions on whether this can be used. Anyone give a definative answer?
It may be possible to extend the immersion circuit providing their is adequate capacity left on the circuit.

Ok that makes it a little clearer but always another question i am affraid.

Can i used fused spurs off the spur for the valve and cylinder stat. Surely this would protect this circuit?

The "spur" to the valve and cyclinder stat is almost certainly NOT a power supply but control circuits for the valve and stat.

[1] there may only be power there when there is a demand for hot water

[2] the power when it is there will be via the heating controller/timer and probabaly limited by a 3 amp fuse..

Ok count that one out.

Down to the immersion. If i put a fused spur on this can i come use? Seems a difference in opinion on previous replys. Also how do i know if there is capacity on this circuit?

If i am unable to spur off this whats next? You guys must see this alot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back