Bathroom RCD for Macerator & Shower Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The 17th Ed requires an RCD on all bathroom supplies, however I understand that inductive loads such as macerator and shower pump motors can trip RCD. What is the recommended solution to this problem?

I had proposed putting an RCBO on the Hager distribution unit which would feed a switch external to the bathroom for isolating the macerator and shower pump feeds. The macerator is connected via a wall-mounted 5A fused spur in the bathroom (unswitched). The shower pump connection is underneath the bath comprising a switched 5A spur. This spur also feeds an SELV transformer for over-mirror 12V lighting. Bath panel is removable only with tools, but I'm slightly worried that a pipe burst at the pump could expose the spur to a Tsunami of forced water.

Are there any problems with this proposal and do the regs specify any minimum distance above floor level for the spur boxes?

Thanks for any help offered,

Melchet.

Sponsored Links
There are different types
Type [AC or A or B]

Standard IEC 60755 (General requirements for residual current operated protective devices) defines three types of RCD depending on the characteristics of the fault current.

* Type AC: RCD for which tripping is ensured for residual sinusoidal alternating currents.
* Type A: RCD for which tripping is ensured:
o for residual sinusoidal alternating currents,
o for residual pulsating direct currents,
o for residual pulsating direct currents superimposed by a smooth direct current of 0.006 A, with or without phase-angle control, independent of the polarity.
* Type B: RCD for which tripping is ensured:
o as for type A,
o for residual sinusoidal currents up to 1000 Hz,
o for residual sinusoidal currents superposed by a pure direct current,
o for pulsating direct currents superposed by a pure direct current,
o for residual currents which may result from rectifying circuits, i.e.:
+ three pulse star connection or six pulse bridge connection,
+ two pulse bridge connection line-to-line with or without phase-angle monitoring, independently of the polarity.
* Type S: RCD Selective = Time delay
Not sure which type you required but I would ask at whole sale outlet then if wrong you can take it back.
Eric

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back