Wiring a bathroom fan with shower cable.

Remove existing shower isolator, replace with an RCD FCU, connect new bathroom lighting to that.
Optionally change MCB in the consumer unit to some lower value. The 45A shower should never have been fitted in that consumer unit, as it is a maximum of 30A per way.

Sponsored Links
That sounds serious endecotp. Do you think it is safe to use the shower until resolved?
Unfortunately I no longer have contact details for the guy who installed shower in the first place.

Thanks flameport. The same guy who did the shower put in an electric cooker with a 32a fuse in a spare "port" in the fuse box. Should that be ok or should I start getting quotes for replacing the whole box do you think?

Sponsored Links
Should that be ok or should I start getting quotes for replacing the whole box do you think?
There is nothing inherently wrong with that fusebox, it's still as safe as when installed.
However the problem is that the majority of new circuits, additions and alterations will require RCD protection, which cannot be added to that fusebox.
Therefore replacement is certainly something to consider.

I spy Pyro :love:
Sad isn't it, that was the first thing I noticed...
Yes and no. It is (was) red. I'm wondering what's wired in Pyro

Went into a wholesalers to get a red shroud for some FP. The guy on the counter had to describe it to his mate as 'one of those red carrot type things'. Neither of them knew what they were for until then :rolleyes:

Should that be ok or should I start getting quotes for replacing the whole box do you think?
worth considering
You have a wylex box with some proteus (Another make) mcbs fitted
The Main switch is only rated at 60 amp max for the whole house though you proberly rarely if ever exceed that

That sounds serious endecotp. Do you think it is safe to use the shower until resolved?.

It's as safe as millions of showers installed before RCDs became standard; yes you can continue to use it.

The issue is that new circuits have to comply with the current regulations, which require RCD protection in most cases and certainly for bathrooms. Replacing the CU will give you RCDs for everything, which is good going forward, but will cost in the short term.
The alternative is to find some way to add RCD only for the new circuit (as suggested above) which is probably cheaper but has no other advantages.

The way forward is to find a registered electrician (changing a CU is notifiable work).
He is the one who is best placed to supply the correct CU for your installation.
He/she will fully test your wiring first, and then make the change.
How long? It depends on lots of things. It's not like shopping a tyre on a car.

TTC, so the electrician recommended by a friend might not be registered and therefore not qualified to swap CU?
I want it done safely above cheaply. Is there a fool proof way of checking someone is registered for this job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back