Electric shower extractor fan

GB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am planning to fit an electric shower and would like to install a timed extractor fan at the same time. I would like the fan to operate during and after the shower is switched on, and NOT every time the light is switched on.

I have run a dedicated circuit from the consumer unit (RCD protected) to the electric shower via a ceiling mounted isolator switch. I would like to know if it acceptable to wire the extractor fan from the shower isolator switch? And would I need a fuse between the isolator switch and the extractor fan? This is the only way I can think that will allow the timed extractor fan to operate during and after the shower is switched on, and not every time the light is switched on.

My major concern is safety so if this is in anyway dangerous please let me know and I will install a separate isolator switch for the extractor fan running from the ceiling rose.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes it would be highly dangerous, because you would need to have a separte fuse to isolate you fan (as you said) trouble is you will not be able to get two 10mm cables into the switch, you can also now get "humidity fans" that start and stop acording to the moisture in the air, i think i have seen them at screwfix

Dead reliable, humidity switched fans - every time it rains they come on!

Would it be possible to switch a fan from a PIR detector pointing at the shower? IP rating sufficient??

Also for the intrepid - you can get flow switches (as used in boilers) which you could put in the water supply to the shower to switch on the fan. If it were say 12Volt and say under the bath or above the ceiling I don't see a problem, but a sparky might?

Or a pipe stat on the waste to detect hot water? OK maybenot :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back