Is an isolater switch for extractor fan required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Electrical Types

When fitting an extractor fan/shower light in a bathroom - is an isolator switch mandatory - or just advisable ?

Cheers

Steve

Sponsored Links
The point about natural light is that you can turn off the circuit if you need to work on the fan, so you don't need an isolator.

That said, I've seen the fact that fans can fail on given as a reason for always having an isolator even if the room has windows.

Sponsored Links
yeah I see what you mean - but is it mandatory ? I guess you could turn off the circuit and use a head-torch or battery light ?

If the fan fails on then would you be happy for the entire lighting circuit to be off until the fan can be fixed?

That's how the reasoning goes - how often fans fail like that IHNI.

An isolator isn't mandatory, so as you clearly don't want one then don't fit one.

The bathroom electrics were all completed last year by an electrician not me - I was just wondering if an isolator should have been fitted as I've seen lots of mentions of them on this forum

Thanks for your help

Ta

Steve

morning Steve,

Meanwhile back in the real world....

Sounds like this is notifiable work as involves installation of new fixed equipment/cabling. (Part P)

As such, and assuming done on self certification basis, the electrician would have signed a piece of paper saying he followed BS7671 - the regs. This declaration allows his work to be assumed to be sufficient for Part P and on this basis your council issues the certificate to say it's legal.

The regs require the electrician to follow manufacturer's instructions.

Almost certainly the manufacturer would require the use of an isolator.

Therefore, assuming the above. The use of an isolator is mandatory. If you paid money to somebody then it should be done properly.

IMO the isolator should be in the loft for maintenance purposes.
This is important as it is very likely that the fan is run off the same circuit as the loft light.

If you have a faulty fan then you'll have no way of isolating it to work on it, unless you cut off the lighting circuit power, but then - you'll have a blacked out loft!

I fitted an in-line shower fan and light along with 4 downlighters (outside of zones, and with sealed loftcaps) when I refurbed the bathroom 18 months ago.

The fan/light I used required fusing at 3A, the lighting circuit of course is 6A so as our CU is an old Wylex with plugin MCBs (PIR and new CU is planned for this spring, not DIY) I used an RCD FCU fused at 5A to supply all of the bathroom lighting and fan/light from the load side and then a double pole switched FCU fused at 3A to isolate and fuse down to the fan/light. All located up in the loft.

And yes I know this is notifiable and no I didn't.

IMO the most wonderful place to put a bathroom fan isolator is outside the bathroom, above the door. It is unlikely to be accidentally operated or touched with wet hands or sprayed with water, but it is in sight and readily accessible when required.

I fitted an in-line shower fan and light along with 4 downlighters (outside of zones, and with sealed loftcaps) when I refurbed the bathroom 18 months ago.

The fan/light I used required fusing at 3A, the lighting circuit of course is 6A so as our CU is an old Wylex with plugin MCBs (PIR and new CU is planned for this spring, not DIY) I used an RCD FCU fused at 5A to supply all of the bathroom lighting and fan/light from the load side and then a double pole switched FCU fused at 3A to isolate and fuse down to the fan/light. All located up in the loft.

I can see the point of installing an isolator in the loft for an inline fan which is also installed the the loft but I don't agree with installing a FCU which also controls the bathroom lighting in a loft.
You might know the location of the fuse but the next occupant might not.

A valid point, but I wanted to put the bathroom lighting on an RCD and since i have no intention of ever moving until forced by age, infirmity or my demise I should be here for another 20+ years ( I hope :) ).

And they are in clear view in the well lit loft and labelled. So not too hard to find.

you might get a bad leg and be unable to climb into the loft :(

I used an RCD FCU fused at 5A to supply all of the bathroom lighting and fan/light from the load side and then a double pole switched FCU fused at 3A to isolate and fuse down to the fan/light. All located up in the loft.

So doesnt the fan have a timed overrun?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back