Shower pump and shower extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

I have a shower extractor fan which is connected to my upstairs lighting supply and operated via a switch on the landing. The fan has a timer overrun facility. Isolation of the extrator fan is via a fan isolator switch.

My shower pump is currently plugged into a socket which forms part of the upstairs ring circuit. I turn the switch on the socket off during the day to ensure that if there are any leaks 'downstream' of the pump that the puimp does not operate.

Can anyone advise if I can remove the socket which feeds the pump from the upstairs ring and connect it to the extractor fan isolator switch. This would mean that the shower pump is only switched on when the fan switch on the landing is on.

Many thanks

paul

Sponsored Links
No.

The shower pump is on the ring main and the extractor fan is on the lighting circuit.

Andy

Thanks Andy. Yes that is the current arrangement.

I am considering completely removing the socket that feeds the shower pump from the main ring and connecting it to the extractor isolator switch.

There is no electrical reason why you cannot.

However you may need to install a fused connection unit if the manufacturer requires a 3A fuse for the pump and -

the isolation switch may be after the fan switch in which case the pump would only work when the fan is switched on.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys, I don't know if I need an FCU as the pump has a three pin plug supplied as standard.

I only really want the pump to work once the fan is switched on,

the pump is in the airing cupboard plugged into a socket which is part of the upstairs ring

So are you wanting
the pump only to come on when the fan is operating?
the pump to come on when bathroom light is on?
the pump to come on when the fan isolator is on, regardless of whether fan is operating or not?

Don't forget the ring maybe protected by a rcd and the lights may not.

My shower pump is currently plugged into a socket which forms part of the upstairs ring circuit. I turn the switch on the socket off during the day to ensure that if there are any leaks 'downstream' of the pump that the pump does not operate.
Wouldn't hearing the pump start up when nobody is using the shower be a useful warning of a catastrophic failure?

Can anyone advise if I can remove the socket which feeds the pump from the upstairs ring and connect it to the extractor fan isolator switch. This would mean that the shower pump is only switched on when the fan switch on the landing is on.
What would that achieve which your current arrangement does not?

Ban All sheds,

Thanks for your questions.

I isolate my pump at the socket prior to leaving the house ensuring that if there is a leak when I am not home then the pump does not switch on.

Secondly, it would ensure the pump is on only when the shower valve is open and the extractor fan is often.

Thanks

I isolate my pump at the socket prior to leaving the house ensuring that if there is a leak when I am not home then the pump does not switch on.
Is that not a tad paranoid?

Secondly, it would ensure the pump is on only when the shower valve is open and the extractor fan is often.
Replace the socket with a switched FCU, have the pump and the fan supplied from that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back