Extractor fan triggered by shower pump

Round here, if the building inspector is involved on a job, we get pulled up if we put a fan on its own switch :(

Uh-oh, another inspector trying to make up his own rules by the sound of it. What grounds does he cite?

Sponsored Links
Round here, if the building inspector is involved on a job, we get pulled up if we put a fan on its own switch :(

Uh-oh, another inspector trying to make up his own rules by the sound of it. What grounds does he cite?
The grounds I'd cite are:

1. that it'll never get used, thus causing condensation and bad smells to remain.

2. that it'll get left on all the time, thus causing energy wastage.

<throws down gauntlet>

The grounds I'd cite are:

1. that it'll never get used, thus causing condensation and bad smells to remain.

<throws down gauntlet>
That's browlocks; it’s his very opinionated interpretation & nothing whatsoever to do with enforceable regs; tell him to FO! :LOL: As long as you've not got other work he's due to inspect :confused:

Maybe, but if the owner doesn't want to use the fan, that's his problem. And how would that be any different from the now all-too-common timer fan on the light switch, where the owner gets so fed up with the fan running every time he turns the light on for 30 seconds that he just opens the fan isolator and leaves it open?

No different than somebody leaving a light on. If that argument had any validity for the fan, then it will also be perfectly valid for a light, so the inspector should object to all those manually controlled lights as well.

Sponsored Links
I hope the owner doesn't have his/her shower and daily dump during daylight hours!

Thinking about potential waste of energy, surely there's a good argument against linking the fan with the light in a bathroom which has natural light? Every time you want to use the fan during daylight hours, you're wasting power to have the light burning as well.

In regard to the last two posts - fair point but if you want the fan on you can switch the light on then off, and the fan will run for 10 mins (or whatever).

I guess it depends on who is living in the property. Personally I think it's a bad idea to have an accessible fan isolator in a rented flat as the tenants will turn it off at the slightest noise and let mould develop. I suppose you could have the fan on a PIR (or 2) pointed at the toilet and shower although I don't fancy that myself! I've got an internal bathroom so no issues with daylight (well i do intend to have a few glass half-blocks up high . . .) so am going with inline fan in the loft with over-run timer from the light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back