hi all....extractor fan help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to fit an extractor fan in my shower cubicle which is in the converted loft........the light switch is in the bedroom for the light.....but can i run the extractor fan off the ceiling rose without needing to run in wires? if so can any 1 recommend one which works on a timed basis
cheers
mark

Sponsored Links
Look in the 'for reference' section at the top of the forum. there is a nice diagram of what you describe, i.e. taking a feed from the ceiling rose.
If you cant understand the diagrams, incoinjunction with the instructions on the fan, come back to us.
regards M.

i looked at the picture by breezer but what is a triple pole isolator?is it just twin and earth needed(cable)and what colours mean what on diagram?

you should follow the diagram as shown. a tripple pole isolator is an isolator that isolates 3 poles at the same time, try a seacrh on the web for one, look in your local shed, they often have a fan symbol on them

Sponsored Links
if the fan has a timer it will need three cores that need isolation (constant live, switched live, and neutral) plus earth.
Unless you are creative at using lots of red and black with coloured sleeves to sort them out, I'd reccomend 3 core plus earth for the fan conection, in either 1mm or 1.5mm depending what your lighting circuit is already using.
regards M.

you know where i can a tripple pole isolator online m8?

any on line shead, electrical wholesaler. its a common item, but dont forget you will also need a patress for it, so get that at the same time

still havent found a fan yet.......need it to ceiling mounted but exhaust on roof..........ran off the ceiling rose so no need for another switch

magico said:
still havent found a fan yet.......need it to ceiling mounted but exhaust on roof..........ran off the ceiling rose so no need for another switch
yes there is, how are you going to isolate it?

what do you mean? isolate what?

The fan of course. Ask yourself this simple question. "How do I make the fan safe to work on if it needs maintenance?" Switching the lght off isn't enough because you have an unswitched live supply to the fan. How else do you expect the thing to run on after you switch off the light?

The three pole isolator goes in the three core plus earth cable between the ceiling rose and the fan - and, before you ask, no, you do not isolate the earth connection!

PS: I still have a roll of three core twin and earth left over from a previous job ---

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back