Extractor Fan inside Shower Cubicle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

My property has a downstairs shower room and the actual cubicle is completely enclosed because of the limited space. What has been happening is the wall that is directly behind the shower cubicle has developed black mold/damp and the paint was peeling. I think that is because of the lack of ventilation in the cubicle that this is causing the problem.

Can some please confirm to me

1) Can a extractor fan be installed in the shower cubicle itself at the highest point on a vertical wall (not the ceiling because it is the bedroom above and I don't want to duct into the bedroom and out as it seems quite untidy. What type of extractor can this be , I assume low voltage is allowed? Does a qualified electrician have to do this and issue a minor works certificate?

Are there any specific regulations in terms of how far the extractor should be from a person in the cubicle or because its low voltage its not a concern. The extractor fan will be activated via the pull cord that operates the light outside the cubicle

Cheers
Raj

Sponsored Links
1) Can a extractor fan be installed in the shower cubicle itself at the highest point on a vertical wall
Yes it can, you may have to follow the manufacturers instruction of the fan purchased, regarding any limitations of is exact mounting position.
What type of extractor can this be , I assume low voltage is allowed? Does a qualified electrician have to do this and issue a minor works certificate?
Both low voltage (LV) and extra low voltage (EVL) maybe allowed these are two different voltage values. This will depend in which zone the fan is mounted and will require at least an IPX4 ingress protection rating.
Anybody can do it but will require notification to building controls and the ability to install, inspect, test, complete documents and comply to all relevant requirements and regulations. Notification usually has a hefty fee involved. The best option would be to employ a registered electrician, one that is listed as a competent person.
They can then self cert the work with either a minor works or an electrical installation certificate.

Are there any specific regulations in terms of how far the extractor should be from a person in the cubicle or because its low voltage its not a concern. The extractor fan will be activated via the pull cord that operates the light outside the cubicle
As above the zone it is mounted will be important with regards whether LV or ELV can be used.
You will require RCD 30mA protection on this part of the circuit though, if not already offered to the circuit via another means.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back