Replacement extractor fan with timer

OOI could a contactor be used to switch between two electric showers, thus saving on an additional fuse/rcd etc, and avoiding problems with overload at the CU?
It could, and I believe that devices designed for that very purpose actually exist 'on the shelf'. If done properly, the device needs to be clever enough to know whet to do in the (unlikely) event that the two showers were switched on simultaneously - I think usually by giving 'priority' to one of the showers.

Strictly speaking, I think that one needs DNO permission to connect more than one electric shower to a domestic installation - and I suspect that if such permission were granted, they might insist on such a device being fitted.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure I understand that. Surely he is correct in saying that having two showers connected to the same shower circuit (with arrangements to prevent both being used concurrently) would/could 'save' on protective devices, and probably cable? ... or did you mean that the added complexity might not result in a cost saving?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
OOI could a contactor be used to switch between two electric showers, thus saving on an additional fuse/rcd etc, and avoiding problems with overload at the CU?
It could, and I believe that devices designed for that very purpose actually exist 'on the shelf'. If done properly, the device needs to be clever enough to know whet to do in the (unlikely) event that the two showers were switched on simultaneously - I think usually by giving 'priority' to one of the showers.
whssign.gif

It's been discussed here before - if you do some searching you'll find it, and at some point someone did post a link to an off-the-shelf product. Something at the back of my mind is telling me it was Irish.

A/B switching of showers with a priority system is easy enough, harder is to stop one shower pre-empting the other if it's already in use.

Strictly speaking, I think that one needs DNO permission to connect more than one electric shower to a domestic installation - and I suspect that if such permission were granted, they might insist on such a device being fitted.
Strictly speaking I would think that with such a device no permission would be needed, as there would never be more than one in use.

My point was that they quite probably would not give permission for two showers unless such a device were fitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
If one is prepared to have an 'isolator' which one has to operate in order to use the 'priority' shower (and remembers to turn it off when that shower is not in use!), wiring of a priority system with a contactor is totally trivial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back