Is my new consumer unit 17th edition compliant?

What we need is some other opinions. Anyone?!

Well, I guess I'm big enough to take the flak.

What is there to say? You fits the clamp between the meter union and the 600mm point.

"Where practicable" does not mean "If you can't be arsed, stick it where it's easiest".

To my mind, it means unless a major difficulty prevents you, you fit the clamp where the regulations advise.

Sponsored Links
What we need is some other opinions. Anyone?!
Well, I guess I'm big enough to take the flak. What is there to say? You fits the clamp between the meter union and the 600mm point. ....
Thanks, but that's not actually the issue on which I was canvassing further opinions! As you've probably seen, PBoD thinks that, for reasons I find hard to buy into, the final sentence of 544.1.2 (which, as far as I can see, is the only place where '600mm' is mentioned in the regs) relates only to gas pipework and meters, not water or any other service supplies. What are your feelings about that?

Kind Regards, John

I said the last sentence of the requirement lends it's self to the gas services, rather than water services.
I have never mentioned ruling out the possibility of it also being applied to the water or even oil services. As previously stated, I follow the guidance within the OSG, which I believe to be correct, which includes 600mm for water.

PBoD thinks that, for reasons I find hard to buy into, the final sentence of 544.1.2 (which, as far as I can see, is the only place where '600mm' is mentioned in the regs) relates only to gas pipework and meters, not water or any other service supplies. What are your feelings about that?
I really don't know what the argument is about.

It is clear to me that the 600mm. applies and refers to ANY meter but so what?

Where would you (PBoD) bond if there were a water meter under the sink?
(Ignoring the fact that they are plastic)

(Aren't water meters under the road or pavement and therefore PBoD might be correct but only because the situation may never arise?)

What practical difference would it make if PBoD were correct and why would there be different rules for gas meters and meters of other services?

Sponsored Links
I said the last sentence of the requirement lends it's self to the gas services, rather than water services.
I have never mentioned ruling out the possibility of it also being applied to the water or even oil services. As previously stated, I follow the guidance within the OSG, which I believe to be correct, which includes 600mm for water.
Missed this while typing and am totally mystified now.

I really don't know what the argument is about. It is clear to me that the 600mm. applies and refers to ANY meter but so what?
Following PBoD's latest post, I don't know what the argument is about, either! He now seems to be agreing with me (and you), not arguing, that the last sentenceof 544.1.2 could apply to any meter.
(Aren't water meters under the road or pavement and therefore PBoD might be correct but only because the situation may never arise?)
Many are - but FWIW, my water meter, and those of my three closest relatives, are all within the respective houses - so there's at least four houses where it arises (and I doubt that my family has been singled out :) )!
What practical difference would it make if PBoD were correct and why would there be different rules for gas meters and meters of other services?
It's never occurred to me that there would/could be different rules for different services. I'm not really sure why PBoD introduced the suggestion which (to my mind) implied that there might be, when he started this part of the discussion by writing:
MY point being that the wording in BS7671, in the final sentence seems to be directly concerning gas connection, where the OSG doesn't.

Kind Regards, John

Don't be mystified on my behalf, I wish I had never entered in to the debate.
I only mentioned, the misconceived notion of where the consumers side of the water pipe started.

My second post on this thread, quite clear me thinks.
With respects to the incoming water services, if the pipework is lead or copper when entering the building and onwards from the internal stop tap, this should be bonded.
The regulations state consumer side of water services when entering the property, this is open to interpretation as many believe the consumer side is after the internal stop tap, which it is not, it is actually from the external tap stop which is generally located at the boundary wall of the property.
So the pipework if practicable should be bonded within 600mm of entering the property, not as some would believe within 600mm of internal stop tap.

Where did I argue and I have never waived form that point of view?

My second post on this thread, quite clear me thinks.
With respects to the incoming water services, if the pipework is lead or copper when entering the building and onwards from the internal stop tap, this should be bonded.
The regulations state consumer side of water services when entering the property, this is open to interpretation as many believe the consumer side is after the internal stop tap, which it is not, it is actually from the external tap stop which is generally located at the boundary wall of the property.
So the pipework if practicable should be bonded within 600mm of entering the property, not as some would believe within 600mm of internal stop tap.
Where did I argue and I have never waived form that point of view?
I agree that that was totally clear - although, as you know, I questioned the relevance of your point about the definition of "the consumer's side of the water services", since (AFAICC) that is not something which is mentioned in either BS7671 or the OSG.

However, it was your post two after that one, that stated getting me confused, and getting you and I disagreeing :)

Kind Regards, John

I don't recall any argument, just a debate over who I considered it could be interpreted and alleged suggestion that were unfounded.
544.1.2: All main bonding connections are to be applied to the consumer's side of any meter, main stop valve or insert and, where practicable 600mm of the meter outlet or point of entry if the meter is external

544.1.2: All main bonding connections are to be applied to the consumer's side of any meter, main stop valve or insert and, where practicable 600mm of the meter outlet or AT THE point of entry if the meter is external

544.1.2: All main bonding connections are to be applied to the consumer's side of any meter, main stop valve or insert and, where practicable 600mm of the meter outlet or point of entry to the building (actually) if the meter is external

Oh. I can't be bothered to type out 544.1.2 again but it's no good the (no good) OSG putting '544.1.2' in the margin and then making up something different.

... as you know, I questioned the relevance of your point about the definition of "the consumer's side of the water services", since (AFAICC) that is not something which is mentioned in either BS7671 or the OSG.
544.1.2: All main bonding connections are to be applied to the consumer's side of any meter, main stop valve or insert and, where practicable 600mm of the meter outlet or point of entry if the meter is external
There is surely the world of difference between "the consumer's side of the water services" (which you defined) and "the consumer's side of the meter" (which is what the regs mentions)?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back