Outdoor armoured cable cover required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be having the council building inspector over soon to hopefully sign off my self build but am unsure about an armoured cable which exits my house approx 2 foot up from current ground level and then goes straight down the rendered exterior wall into some ducting underground to my garage at the bottom of the garden.

The ground in this area does need to come up about a foot so some of the cable will be visible when finished therefore I think he'd want it covered/protected against impact? I'm struggling to find a suitable product for this, most ask the cable to be fed through but I cannot do this as its fixed either end. The cable is about an inch in diameter at most.

Any pointers appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Are the council signing off the electrics or was the installation done under a self certify scheme?

Armoured cable is already protected from impact. Otherwise, slit some plastic tube lengthways and put this over the cable.

The electrician has done his bit and provided certificates which I assume I need to show the building control guy? He's been very textbook so far so I'm trying to eliminate any possible failures before he visits. I think I'll cover the cable with something anyway for aesthetics if nothing else, thanks for your suggestion I'll try it.

Sponsored Links
What Woody said. If the cable is somewhere where there is the possibility of something hard (like a car or a vandal with a rock) hitting it then you can get galvanised capping (BT use it on their big cables in similar circs). Screwfix sell a smaller version (they call it channelling though)- you could make it work but you'd need to make the channel deeper than supplied (length of conduit, hammer, bench should do it). If it's in your back garden then don't worry, the Armour bit will protect it against anything likely to hit it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back