Outdoor electrical supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My brother in law (how did I get roped into this) is building a conservatory and has asked me to help him with the power supplies. He wants 2 double power sockets in his conservatory together with 2 wall lights. This is fairly straight forward in itself (I have rewired a house before so am pretty confident with electrics).

However, he has a garden full of lights(6 sets) & pond pumps (5 in all) which have been added to his house supply over the years. I have to say that the method of wiring etc seems pretty messy although there is RCD protection at the mains CU.

My question is - with this amount of outdoor stuff (all lights are low voltage except for one floodlight and all pumps are low rating) what is the best way of tidying all of this up and making sure it is all safe.

His house has concrete floors which complicates things and it appears that there are lots of power sockets which have been spurred off already.

I was going to run a spur supply off the ring main with RCD protection to a junction box and then have the individual switches for the outdoor items on a panel placed indoors. How is it best to configure this ?

Sponsored Links
just one point i would like to make RCD's do not protect against over current
they only protect against earth faults
only 30mA RCD's should be used for protection against direct contact.

looks like some investigation work is needed to make sure the installation is safe before you add more circuits
make sure sprus are not spured off a spur
make sure the RCD at the cu is working and protecting the out door ccts
to be honest wiring a house does'nt give you the nessessary experience to ensure this installation is safe

i think you need a qualified sparks around to sort it out

if you did the work and some thing happend to your brother in laws family imagine how you would feel

As bussiebuss said
i think you need a qualified sparks around to sort it out
if you did the work and some thing happend to your brother in laws family imagine how you would feel

and as you asked

sd3671 said:
(I have rewired a house before so am pretty confident with electrics).How is it best to configure this ?

I would say that you are not condfident enough, and you do not know the rules and regulations.

May i also suggest you say to your brother in law "this job is a case of biting off more than you can chew"

just because you have "rewired a house" does not make you an electrician.

being a professional, also tells you when you need help, this is one of those times where you need a professional

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back