Outdoor Porch Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

We have a rain porch outside our front door which has a ceiling mounted bulkhead light switchable with an indoor switch.

Does anyone know where I can get some sort of ceiling mounted outdoor light with built in PIR so we can leave it switched on indoors all the time and it only come on when someone approaches? Can find lots of wall mounted outdoor PIR lights but nothing for ceiling mount.

Ideally after a plain round light with a pir in the middle.

I guess I could fit a plain looking wall light to the ceiling but not sure the pir will detect the movement below it?

Thanks
Leccyblue

Sponsored Links
Err....

Admittedly I've not bothered to read the details of any of those, but none of them look suitable for installation outside, which is surely where you'd want a PIR.

Sponsored Links
I'd 'imagine' that the PIR would sit in the porch, and since most porches have windows the PIR would detect outside when peeps walk to the porch area.

If it's a solid wood, windowless porch then you deduction that none of those would be suitable is correct and an outside PIR unit would be required.

It's a rain porch built in to the bungalow, ie. it sits under the roofline of the bungalow and inside of the outer walls, but seperated from inside of the bungalow with a upvc door. So it's external but has complete shelter from the rain.

I get the idea though now, probably easier to get an outdoor PIR and wire in to existing light.

I'd 'imagine' that the PIR would sit in the porch, and since most porches have windows the PIR would detect outside when peeps walk to the porch area.
I'd imagine that a PIR wouldn't detect enough IR, soon enough, through a sheet of glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back