Outdoor railing - referb and paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an outside 1st floor balcony railing (5m long) that is about 60 years old. It is in need of tlc and I am planning on refurbishing it. I am going to live here a long time, so would rather do a really thorough job the first time, to get a high quality finish that is easier to maintain over the years. My question is, what is the best way to clean the railing before I paint it?

- I have a number of wire brush attachments, some for my angle grinder and others for my drill but have not seen much online about using them for refurbishing metal railings. Is there any good reason why I should not use these to remove all the paint, rust and dirt, with the aim of then painting direct to the cleaned metal?

- What other methods do people use on metal? Heat Gun? Sander etc?

- Finally, any recommendations on the best Black Paint system (primer + top coat etc)?

Thanks for your help,

Jon

Sponsored Links
There is something called a "needle descaler" that apparently is good for this. I've been considering hiring one to do my railings - HSS have an electric one apparently, though they normally need compressed air - but I've not got round to it yet. There are youtube videos.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back