Outdoor socket addition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon

We have conservatory sockets on their own ring circuit but are wanting to add one or two outdoor sockets for lighting rather than the extension lead out the window currently....

The sockets would be on the outside of conservatory wall in couple of locations not further down garden requiring armour etc.

Understand can spur off internal socket to new outdoor straight through wall for back -to- back install but/or would it be better to add the outdoor socket to the existing ring? Thinking latter for one socket especially as there is not an internal behind to spur from.

Thanks muchly

Sponsored Links
You can spur from one socket on the ring, but not add a second spur to the first.

Or you could spur from two different points on the ring final.

When installing an outdoor socket it is sensible to supply that socket via a double pole isolator fitted inside the house.

This enables the socket to be isolated if ( when ) it becomes waterlogged or damaged. Without that isolation protective devices ( MCBs and/or RCD ) in the consumer unit are likely to operate and disconnect sockets and/or lighting inside the house.

Sponsored Links
When installing an outdoor socket it is sensible to supply that socket via a double pole isolator fitted inside the house.

This enables the socket to be isolated if ( when ) it becomes waterlogged or damaged. Without that isolation protective devices ( MCBs and/or RCD ) in the consumer unit are likely to operate and disconnect sockets and/or lighting inside the house.

This is often stated on here. However if a decent quality outdoor socket is installed properly it shouldn’t happen. I have 2 outside sockets installed by me 16 years ago and have never had a RCD trip due to either of them.

It would have these benefits for the op

1) isolate if water logged
2) switch the external lights on off
3) fuse down the ring if adding 2 sockets using one cable

I've know someone mow through the flex cable.

It would also be possible for a malicious person, burglar or practical joker to cut power in the house, tripping the RCD from the outside socket.

I've know someone mow through the flex cable.

It would also be possible for a malicious person, burglar or practical joker to cut power in the house, tripping the RCD from the outside socket.
EC9CA70B-CBA2-43D8-94A3-8BD2F6E6D5BF.jpeg

It would have these benefits for the op

1) isolate if water logged
2) switch the external lights on off
3) fuse down the ring if adding 2 sockets using one cable

1. Won't happen if properly installed.
2. OK I'll accept that.
3. A double pole isolator (that was suggested) does not have a fuse. 2 sockets should not be added using one cable anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back