Outdoor socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,

Hope all is keeping well… I need to install an outdoor waterproof socket on a wall. The location of this socket has an internal double socket directly behind it however this internal socket already has two twin core and earth going into it…. This socket is part of the original wiring to the house… would think the two cables is part of the parallel socket ring main and not a spur off it.

Would I be ok to connect the outdoor socket to this socket to have three twin core and earths going into the back of it .

The cable is 2.5’s… current rcd is 20A trip … if not what would I have to do to connect it to this point as the next mains point is four metres away internally.
Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
Would I be ok to connect the outdoor socket to this socket to have three twin core and earths going into the back of it .
Yes, it sounds like it would be ok.

The cable is 2.5’s… current rcd is 20A trip
Do you really mean RCD (Residual Current Device) which has a test button or is it an MCB (Miniature Circuit Breaker)?

20A might indicate it is a Radial Circuit but that doesn't affect what you want to do.

Hi efl thanks for the reply and info. Apologies I mean mcb… well spotted .

The socket isn’t going to be used that much ( externally ) it’s just I’m doing a bit of building work and it’s getting a pain dragging dirty extensions through the house and the toddler trying to escape lol
Best wishes
Jake

Sponsored Links
Hopefully it has 30mA RCD protection as well, otherwise that will have to be addressed (at least for the new outside socket)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back