Outdoor Socket help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I'll be fitting one of these to an indoor existing socket (upgrading my current one)

SMTGV101.JPG

Cable Capacity: - 3×2.5mm²

This socket will be fitted outside on the same wall as the existing indoor socket (parallel).

So would you use twin & earth from the existing socket into a junction box outside (no twin and earth visible from outside as it goes straight into the junction box), and then run swa cable say a foot away from this junction box into the outdoor socket?.

Any advice for me please, thanks alot.

Sponsored Links
It would depend on the situation but generally I'd try and have as little stuff outside as possible. my first throughts would be to get a single run of conduit through the wall from inside and joining to the outside socket making sure to seal the conduit as well as possible AND put drain holes in the system.

SWA is IMO more hassle than it's worth for such a short run.

Cheers for the help plugwash :) Yes, that does make sense having little less outdoors.

I've not used conduit before though, and I've read that punching through the drain holes in the socket reduces its rating, but I don't know what is best really.

But I might just go for the conduit like you suggested. Would you go for the steel or pvc?

CO20BX1.JPG

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back