Outdoor socket advice

If you really don't want the FCU in the house, what about putting it on the outside of the house wall instead of the plastic box?

MK56410.JPG

Sponsored Links
What's wrong with an FCU in sight? We're talking something like this...

p2034740_l.jpg

Not something like this...

istockphoto_2601445_power_switch.jpg

With it inside, make it a double pole FCU and you can easily isolate the external installation if, say, a fault occurs (eg water ingress) that trips the RCD on your socket circuit and doesn't let you reset it. Surely putting the FCU inside is less more difficult than all the extra external wiring with the FCU in the garage?

Yes, I know what it looks like :LOL:

But like I said there are two beams running down each side where the existing socket metal box is situated. Then I have to find another beam to attach the FCU's metal box to or find one that is running horizontal... I'll end up destroying a patch of plasterboard to find a suitable location.

Also, as my plaserboard is only 12mm... If I did manage to find a suitable beam to safely attach the FCU to, then I will have to take chunks out of the beams to make the FCU sit snug up against the wall or I'll have to run a 3x2 between existing beams... It's just got to be easier having the FCU outside or in garage.

Thanks for the help though, a switch would be ideal as you suggested, but I can live without it if its easier the way my drawing illustrates.

If you really don't want the FCU in the house, what about putting it on the outside of the house wall instead of the plastic box?

MK56410.JPG

Thanks for that flameport. This is another possibility I would choose, but do you think the 1 x 1.5mm SWA cable will be a bugger to attach to it (plus the hituf cable for the other socket)? As I need to use SWA to be buried.

Cheers for the advice

But like I said there are two beams running down each side where the existing socket metal box is situated. Then I have to find another beam to attach the FCU's metal box to or find one that is running horizontal... I'll end up destroying a patch of plasterboard to find a suitable location.

Have you never heard of a dry lining box?

DL1.jpg

MK56410.JPG

Thanks for that flameport. This is another possibility I would choose, but do you think the 1 x 1.5mm SWA cable will be a b*****r to attach to it (plus the hituf cable for the other socket)? As I need to use SWA to be buried.

You wouldn't use the flex outlet hole in the front, so it would just be a case of glanding into whatever 20mm knockouts you choose. In your case, you'd probably use a side knockout leading to the local outdoor socket outlet, and the bottom to your SWA buried and to the garage. I'd always use 3 core SWA for such applications, as you can't really drill the box to fit the banjos properly without compromising its IP rating. Better still, you can fit Piranha earth nuts.

Hi mate, yes I have seen them before, I did forget about those fittings though. Thanks again for all the help electronicsuk :)

I still don't like the idea of putting the FCU indoors, so I will go for that outdoor FCU instead, it would be more pratical than putting one in the garage, hence like you said in an earlier post the distance wouldn't be so bad, so good choice going this route... Plus the switch is a bonus!

Cheers all for the help and advice

Sponsored Links
Mate mate mate mate MATE! You are making things much more awkward (and expensive) than they need to be by your insistence that the FCU can't be fitted indoors.

If your decor and wall type make it such a struggle how about:
1) Surface mounted? Not the prettiest, but not the end of the world.
2) If the existing socket is a single, just replace it with the FCU? Yeah, you'd lose a socket, but hey.
3) If it's a double, remove it and the double backbox, slightly hack out the opening in the plasterboard, install a dual back box and fit a single socket and the FCU. Et voila!
selectric-lg838-35met-gang-35mm-deep-7493-7433.jpg

:D

So the battens on this wall are so close together that a socket fits inbetween and no room for the FCU beside it? It could always go above or below - that's an option. Or if it was to go on the other side of the nearest batten, if you cut the hole in the plasterboard for the dry lining box very close to the batten, you could probably poke a drill through the batten so you can fish the cable through from the socket to the FCU. Or just cut a channel of plasterboard out, notch the batten, install the cable and repair the plasterboard. All easier than giving yourself a load of extra wiring to do outside. :)

Mate mate mate mate MATE! You are making things much more awkward (and expensive) than they need to be by your insistence that the FCU can't be fitted indoors.

If your decor and wall type make it such a struggle how about:
1) Surface mounted? Not the prettiest, but not the end of the world.
2) If the existing socket is a single, just replace it with the FCU? Yeah, you'd lose a socket, but hey.
3) If it's a double, remove it and the double backbox, slightly hack out the opening in the plasterboard, install a dual back box and fit a single socket and the FCU. Et voila!
selectric-lg838-35met-gang-35mm-deep-7493-7433.jpg

Hi mate, thanks for the advice. Now that is an option I wasn't aware off !!!

3 is definately an option, it is a double socket and I'll go for that :D Yes you are right about costs, the outdoor FCU is £30 alone, it is quite alot really

25mm wider, but that is no problem! I can fit a switched FCU too!

Thanks loverocket, never knew dualboxes existed, cheers for dropping in pal

:)

I'll still add the 100x100mm moulded box on house wall though, just to hold the 1.5mm swa in place with the cw glands, the hituf will also run from the FCU to socket 2... Plus the box will give the 'hole in the wall' added protection, will look neater too!

Thanks

So the battens on this wall are so close together that a socket fits inbetween and no room for the FCU beside it? It could always go above or below - that's an option. Or if it was to go on the other side of the nearest batten, if you cut the hole in the plasterboard for the dry lining box very close to the batten, you could probably poke a drill through the batten so you can fish the cable through from the socket to the FCU. Or just cut a channel of plasterboard out, notch the batten, install the cable and repair the plasterboard. All easier than giving yourself a load of extra wiring to do outside. :)

Thanks for the help mate, I think its easier doing what loverocket suggested though, I feel more confident adding a dual box than mess around in cavitys !!

Thanks all the help, really appreciate it, cheers

Hi mate, thanks for the advice. Now that is an option I wasn't aware off !!!

3 is definately an option, it is a double socket and I'll go for that :D Yes you are right about costs, the outdoor FCU is £30 alone, it is quite alot really

25mm wider, but that is no problem! I can fit a switched FCU too!

They make them in dry lining variants too :LOL:

ok lets just keep things simple here :LOL:

:oops:

thanks for all the help

No problem Morg, glad I could make things a bit easier for you! :)

Have you used SWA cable before? If you're not used to it, it can be a bit tricky to terminate. Here's an excellent guide, and I recommend you get an extra gland or two and practise on a spare bit of cable before you go for it.

Another page of advice on and you still ignore the need to test - or are you happy that your neon screwdriver is a good enough tester?

Rhetorical question of course Rice.

Of course he doesnt even think about testing. Or Part P. As long as it works when he switches it on it must be OK.

Trouble with these sites - on the one hand at least people are asking for help and might take notice of advice given on the other hand it purely encourages more DIY bodges.

Well more "advice" yet still no mention of how this DIYer is going to test his work to ensure it, or any part of the installation that he is connecting to, gets anywhere near complying with BS7671 and similarly no mention of any intention of notifying this work to Building Control under Part P.

A competent registered sparks will do both.

Cowboys do neither.

Ross on Wye or Ross in Rosshire - it still needs testing - which of course isnt going to be done.

Another page of advice on and you still ignore the need to test - or are you happy that your neon screwdriver is a good enough tester?

I don't know what your problem is, but all you've done in my thread is insult with your comments and bang on about your test meter 4 times now.

At least I've came here to ask about this, to learn how to do it safely than what I intended to do without the knowledge gained. Ok i'm not qualified I give you that, but at least I am following the advice and guidelines given to me here, thanks to the generous knowledge of the people here.

Fair enough if I was posing as an electrician and doing uncertified installs for the public, but all I want to do is a fit a socket to play around with my drill in the garage, maybe a brew or two and watch my fishies swim around.

If you want to give me advice on testing my own install, then feel free, I will appreciate it and will do my best to follow the advice given... But I cannot afford expensive testing equipment.

cheers

[/b]

No problem Morg, glad I could make things a bit easier for you! :)

Have you used SWA cable before? If you're not used to it, it can be a bit tricky to terminate. Here's an excellent guide, and I recommend you get an extra gland or two and practise on a spare bit of cable before you go for it.

Thanks mate for all the help, plus everyone else who has helped, really grateful, cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back