fit outside light from socket (indoor)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a single plug socket direct from the consumer unit located halfway up the stairs on an outside wall, id like to come directly out of the back of it into an outdoor junction box going to 1) an outdoor 1 gang wall socket and 2) 2 security lights and pir with a switch (indoors), i have a rough idea of how to do this and although some outdoor electrical work is not notifiable im not sure if this is entirely within that, any idea's on how to do it would be appreciated, Ta.

Sponsored Links
i have a single plug socket direct from the consumer unit located halfway up the stairs on an outside wall, id like to come directly out of the back of it into an outdoor junction box going to 1) an outdoor 1 gang wall socket and 2) 2 security lights and pir with a switch (indoors), i have a rough idea of how to do this and although some outdoor electrical work is not notifiable im not sure if this is entirely within that, any idea's on how to do it would be appreciated, Ta.

You cannot run a light off a power circuit without additional fusing by way of a fused connection unit with a max 5 amp fuse in it.

Hi, i would forget the outdoor socket and install a fuse connection unit inside with a 5a fuse fitted, you can wire the lights directly to that. If you have rcd protection on your sockets you should use a DP FCU which will enable you to switch off the lights if you have a fault, this will make it easier to isolate the outside circuit.

Kind regards,

DS

Sponsored Links
the outdoor socket was for xmas lights/lawnmower etc, the outdoor junction box was going to go one way to the lights and other way to a socket. everything is rcd protected, Ta.

If the indoor socket is on its own breaker at 16a you can take another spur from the indoor socket to supply your out door socket as well as the fcu supplying the lights(5a fuse fitted).

Regards, DS

If the indoor socket is on its own breaker at 16a you can take another spur from the indoor socket to supply you out door socket as well as the fcu supplying the lights(5a fuse fitted).

Regards, DS

that would be easiest, i'll check the rating when i get home, Ta

If the indoor socket is on its own breaker at 16a you can take another spur from the indoor socket to supply you out door socket as well as the fcu supplying the lights(5a fuse fitted).

Regards, DS

that would be easiest, i'll check the rating when i get home, Ta

was going to go from the cable (to the socket), so junction box to outdoor socket and junction box to 5amp fuse ??

The fuse/MCB should be 16A or 20A (possibly 25A) and you must ensure it is protected by a 30mA RCD.

If so you can just extend the circuit to an outside socket with 2.5mm² cable or flex and light.
Instead of a junction box you can use a switch or FCU to connect it all.

I would try to avoid outdoor junctions when possible. If you must have an external fcu to supply the lighting just make sure it's a proper IP rated type.

Regards,

DS

just checked CU its on a 16A fuse, there are 2 sockets, one is this spare one the other one the boiler is plugged into.

Well, as it is a radial circuit you can, more or less, route it as you want.

I suggest you design the circuit.
Draw what is there already and a route to the items you want to install.

Do you want a switch to be able to isolate the outside socket so no one can use it when you are not there?
It's almost essential that there is a switch for the light; where would you like it to be?
Isolation of the outside fixtures is good in case they get wet and the RCD would cut off the boiler or you could position the RCD so it does not affect the boiler.

Post a picture of your plan.

i have a single plug socket direct from the consumer unit located halfway up the stairs on an outside wall.

I hope that the consumer unit is appropriately IP rated? Do you not have trouble with the local scallys turning your circuits off for a laugh?

i have a single plug socket direct from the consumer unit located halfway up the stairs on an outside wall.
I hope that the consumer unit is appropriately IP rated? Do you not have trouble with the local scallys turning your circuits off for a laugh?
I hope the OP has the right sort o sense of humour - otherwise he's going to be 'well confused' :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back