Outdoor sockets, shed power plus light, advice please

Sponsored Links
Your electrician will advise but you really don't want the outside stuffon the same RCD as the house sockets (any fault outside due to damp or small animals would potentially mean no power in the house).
Not sure if RCBOs are available to fit that board, other option is Henley blocks & garage CU to control outside stuff.
Depending how posh your shed is going to be (escape room from the kids maybe) consider chucking a duct in the cable trench for data, alarm etc :)

Your electrician will advise but you really don't want the outside stuffon the same RCD as the house sockets (any fault outside due to damp or small animals would potentially mean no power in the house).
Not sure if RCBOs are available to fit that board, other option is Henley blocks & garage CU to control outside stuff.
Depending how posh your shed is going to be (escape room from the kids maybe) consider chucking a duct in the cable trench for data, alarm etc :)

Thank you.
Yes been looking online gaining knowledge etc. I now realise probably the best option is not to move the RCD switch like advised earlier, have it on the non RCD side on them 2 blank slots and stick another RCD somewhere else.

Just wanted pointers like this really hence my original post. I know its down to the electrician but he won't just willy nilly come for a chat. And the landscapers will be here creating things that can't be altered.

Hence me posting :)

If you've got a clear idea of what you want to achieve then your electrician will be quite prepared to come & have a look and prepare a quote.
Have a good think about whether you're ever likely to want a hot tub out there- that would affect the cable sizing significantly. Given the cost of digging vs the cost of cable you might decide to go oversize (,so 6mm or even 10mm)...actual termination can wait, long as the cable ends are in the right place. Nowt stopping you ducting the armoured as well as the data (so the digging can proceed & draw the cables in later- watch out for bend radii if you go this road, SWA is fairly stiff and heavy).
Enjoy

Sponsored Links
I know, ask these http://www.rthomsonelectrical.co.uk/

They were the contractors that fitted your CU !!

I did as you suggested, response -

"The 2 spare ways can accept other mcbs but you will find that when the lid is taken off the busbar will have been cut to suit the mcbs now installed so for you to fit a new mcb you would also need a new busbar or extend the existing one

I don’t think you would be able to buy the exact mcbs but a number of makes will fit

It is not something we would be interested in doing but a good NICEIC electrician would be able to do this for you

Regards
"

Which goes back to what I was saying, I simply wanted as much info as poss from these forums beforehand. So I know most of the details prior to speaking to an electrician or trying to get one here in the first place, the actual company above clearly isnt interested in the job anyway.

Cheers

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back