OUTDOOR ELECTRIC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Looking for clarification,
my Brother has just moved house, in the garage he has 2 consumer units, one for the house and would appear one for external lights and power to the Garden, for the outdoor power there is 10mm armoured cable (approx. 35mtrs, all underground and inside a thick black poly pipe)connected to outdoor consumer unit inside a waterproof box in a shed, all looks professionally done, very neat and smart, from this external consumer unit there are 2 runs separately fused to various waterproof sockets doted around the garden and another shed,

I have never seen anything like this before, is this common practice to run from an internal consumer unit to and external consumer unit!

regards albag

Sponsored Links
It is common practice for people to put CUs all over the place, daisy chained together, when most are probably not needed. They often compound their mistakes by starting the string of them at the main CU, thus creating discrimination problems and resulting in multiple RCDs in series.

It is common practice for people to put CUs all over the place, daisy chained together, when most are probably not needed. They often compound their mistakes by starting the string of them at the main CU, thus creating discrimination problems and resulting in multiple RCDs in series.

do you think my brother needs to get this looks at, would you recommend a different way of doing this, also is the 10mm cable from the internal CU to the external CU is a bit over the top,

Sponsored Links
do you think my brother needs to get this looks at, would you recommend a different way of doing this ....
Not really - if it has all been done competently. It may well be that the plethora of CUs is unnecessary, and might occasionally result in some 'inconvenience', but there's nothing dangerous about the concept of what has been done.
... also is the 10mm cable from the internal CU to the external CU is a bit over the top,
That depends on what loads are involved. However, there is never anything wrong with having cable which is 'OTT', so nothing to worry about.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back