Outdoor tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Spent all morning trying to fix this one, would appreciate any advice!

We have two outdoor taps, one at the side of the house one at the bottom of the garden, which is connected to a long MDPE pipe.

During the winter the old garden tap was knackered so I removed it and put a stop end on the MDPE pipe. Today I tried to fit a new tap and there is no water at all coming through the pipe.

There is an outdoor stopcock sunk into the ground, turned with a long allen key type thing. When it is turned on the tap on the side of the house works fine, but nothing is going through to the garden tap

The MDPE pipe runs largely underground (previous owner put it in then built a patio over it....). Could it be an airlock in the pipe?

Any help gratefully received!

cheers

Bob

Sponsored Links
Sounds like could be a faulty stopcock, try seeing if you have any water at house end of stopcock as opposed to tap end. You'll then be able to narrrow done the problem.

If you've got no water this side of the stop cock then you knwo the problem is between the house and the stop cock, if you have got water there but not at the other side, then the problem wouyld either be stop sock or fault with pipe between stop and tap.

Would be surpirised if its an air lock.

Ta - the house water is all ok and the other outdoor tap that comes off the stopcock works fine. Yep airlock would seem unlikely off of the mains, I guess the only other thing is something wrong with the pipe, but 80% of it is buried!

cheers
Bob

Sponsored Links
It will not be an airlock. Have you tried tremoving the new tap to make sure that it is not faulty? Does it have a built in Double check valve?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back