Outer wall bowing out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit some wall plates to stop our outer wall sagging, the floor joists run parallel to the wall and I thought to fit some 300x300mm steel plates using 16mm studding through to cross 4 floor joists using washer plates and nuts each side of each joist, and I thought 3 of these to spread the support along the wall would this work and is 16mm suitable or should I go for 20mm?

Sponsored Links
16mm would be fine, but is the floor stiff enough?
Don't know about the spacing - depends how long the wall is.
End terrace?

Employ a structural engineer to devise a safe method to restrain the wall.

Threading it through several joists is likely to end up with the joists bending f the wall continues to move. Unless you use compressible springs between each nut and joist it will be impossible to share the load equally among the 4 joists. The joists will bend and only delay the inevitable

Hi it's a semi detached a small bedroom and the landing are close to the wall, next door had the same problem and they employed the same solution I thought to use, but cant get any useful info from them, I can understand to point about spreading the load but have never heard of compression springs being fitted? I could if need be tie in further joists with short studding further into the room and into the next bedroom if nessesary, this should prevent those joists nearest the wall from bowing or is this wishful thinking

Sponsored Links
It's a fairly standard proceedure to use the floor joists to restrain the wall. The floor boards will keep the floor plate square - the horizontal forces are actually relatively small.
It's often a problem when stairs run up the gable wall as there is no lateral restraint for that length.

Thanks Tony as far as I am aware there is no diy way of supporting a sagging or bowed wall from inside the building other than as I plan to. until I access the joists I wont know if there are any restraints across the joists to the wall, and if there are they are failing, many thanks. I live in hope!!

In 1969 I lived in a rented house that had a bowing wall to the dining room that was under my bedroom. It was said that it had moved during the war but was considered by the land lord to be stable and hence safe. I later heard that at some time in the late 1970's or early 80's it had moved noticably and had to be rebuilt.

There is a row of three terraced cottages where the bulging gable end walls are held in place by X plates and tie rods going through all three cottages.

The floor boards will keep the floor plate square

Maybe so, until someone starts lifting floor boards un-aware they have been made part of the structural strength of the building.

Maybe so, until someone starts lifting floor boards un-aware they have been made part of the structural strength of the building.

Anyone trades working in the house (plumbers; sparks etc) would be unlikely to lift all the floor boards in one go. And presumably within a short time they would put the floor boards back?

When any house or extension is built nowadays, it is a requirement of the Building Regs that masonry walls are tied to floor joists (when these run parallel to an external wall) by 30mm x 6mm steel straps, which have to engage at least three adjacent joists, positioned at a maximum distance of 2m apart. This is to ensure that the wall is adequately restrained laterally by the floor plate, against wind load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back