Outlook express freezes my PC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my outbox I have an e-mail that's causing me a problem. It's a big e-amil because I had added some holiday pictures. Now when I open the outbox outlook express freezes and I have to restart my PC. I can't delete the offending e-mail or do anything at all with it. It's screwing up my PC, any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Can you log into your ISP webmail account and see if it is in there and delete?

Outlook Express stores these files in outbox.dbx. If you can find this file you should be able to delete it - Outlook Express should then reinstate outbox without the problem file. Sorry cannot help with location of the outbox.dbx file though - search using windows.

I can log in to my webmail but the problem isn't there it's on my pc. I'll try to find my outbox as you say and delete it. I can't delete it directly from within outlook express because as soon as I go to my outbox the PC freezes.

Many thanks to TonyWarrington that did the job a treat. It took me a while to track down the file but it's perfect now.

Sponsored Links
Perform the following steps:

1. Close Outlook Express.
2. Start Windows Explorer (Start, Run, Explorer or Win+E).
3. Go to your profile area (e.g., C:\Documents and Settings\YourName\).
4. Within your profile, go to the folder Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{[Long number]}\Microsoft\Outlook Express.
5. Find file Outbox.dbx and delete it.
6. Start Outlook Express (msimn.exe).
7. The system will create a new Outbox.dbx, and the Outbox will be empty.
Edit. Better late than never with the instructions? :D

Open OE
<Tools> <Options> <Maintenance> <Store folder> Select the 'address' <ctrl> +<c> copies that, paste into 'windows explorer' address bar - enter - you are there.
Next time rename the file you are having trouble with... just in case !

A little out of date (OE too) but basically sound http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/

OE death throes??
MS OE team said:
...we want to provide advanced notice that as of June 30, 2008, Microsoft is disabling the DAV protocol and you will no longer be able to access your Hotmail Inbox via Outlook Express. As an alternative, we recommend that you download Windows Live Mail...

An OE error guide...
http://www.plus.net/support/email/email_troubleshooting/oe_error_guide.shtml
:!:

Back