Outside Bulkhead Light Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Have been changing an old outside-wall bulkhead as the casing had cracked, with a new one. The old one was earthed (the earth cable I found was wrapped around a screw which fitted it to the wall). The new one is for low-energy bulbs to 23 watt, double insulated. There is a choc block connector in it with three connections so I terminated the existing earth to the spare one.
And when it's connected up nothing happens - no light (and according to my tester screwdriver no power either, I've tested the tester to make sure it's working). The bulbs are fine. Yet there is a second light run from the same switch which is still working. What could be wrong? Is there maybe something I haven't understood about the earth and double-insulated devices? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Andy. Turns out I was a useless numpty. You were right - I'd made a poor connection.
On top of that I dropped part of the new light, breaking it & had to buy another. Hey ho.
Thanks again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back