wiring for outside bulkhead light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am hoping for some help re the above.
I wish to change existing bulkhead light for a new one plus fit an extra light. Currently there are two cables to the light with red wires going to a terminal, earth wires going to a separate terminal and the remaining black wires going to the light socket. I wish to add an extra light.
Do I bring the existing wires through to a new junction box with both black wires together, reds together and earth's together, and then bring new cables through to each of the new lights from the junction box?

thanking you for any advice

Sponsored Links
No.

If you put both blacks together you will short the supply when the switch is turned on. One of those blacks should have a red sleeve to indicate it is switched live.

You connect the new light to the two blacks that go to the existing lampholder. You will therefore require a 4 terminal junction box - Live, switched live, neutral, and earth.

You will need to use appropriate cable and accessories for external use.

(This work may be notifiable under Part Pee of the Building Regs).

Thanks very much for that advice. Will sort it all out tomorrow hopefully.

much appreciated

No.

If you put both blacks together you will short the supply when the switch is turned on. One of those blacks should have a red sleeve to indicate it is switched live.

You connect the new light to the two blacks that go to the existing lampholder. You will therefore require a 4 terminal junction box - Live, switched live, neutral, and earth.

You will need to use appropriate cable and accessories for external use.

(This work may be notifiable under Part Pee of the Building Regs).

As there is no indication of which black is live and which not I have tried connecting one and then the other to the neutral lead to the bulb holder. In one case nothing happens; in the other the lamp comes on but can't be turned off. What have I done wrong?

Sponsored Links
Why are you digging up a topic from many years ago.??? :rolleyes:

Delete your input and start a new topic. Your story may be different to the 2011 one!

HINT use the button marked "NEW TOPIC"

Why are you digging up a topic from many years ago.??? :rolleyes:

Delete your input and start a new topic. Your story may be different to the 2011 one!

HINT use the button marked "NEW TOPIC"
Eureka. Don't know what happened to your other post but, in any case, your answer was perfect. I'm new to the site and delighted to get such a speedy response. My situation was similar to the 2011 one but next time I'll do as you say.

I deleted my original reply as i didn't want to confuse things in case it was a different situation.
Glad you are all sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back