new lights in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi first post.i have used a junction box into existing light switch wire in my loft and taken new wire fron juction box two a new two way switch.i wired in the feed from the juction box L1 RED L2 BLACK AND EARTH TO OTHER ONE.when it comes to wire in the new light wire i just put them in the same way.the light comes on when switched mains back on but when i switch the light of at the new switch it trips the fuse in main box.i tried red/blue/black/red and the EARTHS together but this just tripped as well anyone any idea what im doing wrong.

Sponsored Links
You don't put neutrals into a single pole light switch...

See here:

electrics:lighting:jbharm2w.gif

claude76 said:
hi first post.i have used a junction box into existing light switch wire in my loft
Erm, this is ringing alarm bells already. :eek: A light switch wire contains live and switched live. No neutral. :confused:

ok lets try this what if i wire the new light straight into the juction box i was talking about i have wired it red to live blue neutral and green earth the light comes on but is very dim and so is the one in the bedroom which is the wire in the juction box i put in loft is there a different way it gets wired.the light in the bedroom is always on this way.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like you have cut into a switch wire. The only thing you can do with this cable now is repair it, if you use the junction box to make it good, leave the JB accessable.
You'll need to find a supply cable, can you see any other cables going to the bedroom light etc?

claude76 said:
ok lets try this what if i wire the new light straight into the juction box i was talking about i have wired it red to live blue neutral and green earth the light comes on but is very dim and so is the one in the bedroom which is the wire in the juction box i put in loft is there a different way it gets wired.the light in the bedroom is always on this way.
You have no idea how lighting circuits work. The main thing to note is that black/blue IS NOT ALWAYS NEUTRAL.
See the wiki for more info/diagrams

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back