Installing a new light and switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.. Is it possible to install a light and switch from an existing light switch.
I'm trying to extend the wiring from a light switch into a junction box and from the junction box to the new light switch but the supply keeps tripping.

Basically, I'm using one supply to feed 2 switches, and there's 2 wires red and black.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi.. Is it possible to install a light and switch from an existing light switch.
No unless you have a live, neutral and earth available at the switch. Do you?

Photographs of the switch wiring will assist.

Basically, I'm using one supply to feed 2 switches, and there's 2 wires red and black.
Having read this then the answer is definitely no.

I've found the live wire, can that go into the junction box, then on to the switch.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks.

The live wire I mentioned came from a 2 gang light switch that became faulty, so I replaced it with a one gang switch, I will need to wire that live cable back into the 1 gang switch I presume, into the 2 way port.

The neutral, common and earth are being used from the switch I'm using as the extender. (Bathroom switch feed)

To summarise, this isn't a new installation as such, I was just trying to use a different feed for our switch in the loft.

Regards

With all due respect, Nadim, you should stop now and get an electrician in. I support DIY electrical work, but it is important to understand what you are doing, and it really doesn't sound as though you do.

please get some help. no, you can't do this because in the switch, the red is live and the black is switched live to the light (not neutral). Connecting up like this wouldn't cause the power to trip, it just wouldn't work or two lights would be working in series :eek: so you must've connected the neutral to earth :eek: stop. disconnect it and get some help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back