Moving Ceiling Light - Will this work?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to move an existing ceiling light (no rose) and the accompanying switch but I am only able to access the switch and the light fitting (unless I destroy newly laid upstairs floors) so I am unable to use the normal approach.

The switch has two wires - black to COM and Red to L1 and the fitting has live (switched) and neutral and earth.

Would this approach work :

1. Dissconnect Supply
2. Remove existing switch
3. Join the wires that were connected to the Switch.
4. Remove existing ceiling fitting
5. Extend the cable that was attached to the old ceiling fitting to a new junction box
6. Neutral from new junction box to light fitting
7. Live (previously the switched live at the old switch) from junction box to new switch
8. Switched live from 2nd switch terminal to light fitting.

I would appreciate any advice on the above method or an alternative approach

Happy New Year
Anzhelika

Sponsored Links
1. Dissconnect Supply
Yes.
2. Remove existing switch
OK.
3. Join the wires that were connected to the Switch.
Mmmmmm.
4. Remove existing ceiling fitting
Right.
5. Extend the cable that was attached to the old ceiling fitting to a new junction box
You will need to leave the junction box accessible or use a method that can be hidden.
6. Neutral from new junction box to light fitting
Are there any CPCs (earths)?
7. Live (previously the switched live at the old switch) from junction box to new switch
See below.
8. Switched live from 2nd switch terminal to light fitting.
If you can do that, why don't you install a completely new switch cable from the new light to the new switch?
Then you can decommission the original switch wire and make it safe.

newly laid upstairs floors
planahead3.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back