Ceiling Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I removed he ceiling rose from the upstairs hallway but did not make not of where the wires went. Basically this light operates off of two switches one in the hallway on the ground floor and one on the second floor. This light was operating fine until I put up the ceiling light.

in the loft area I have one cable coming from a junction box, and a cable coming from what I believe to be the switch to the upstairs switch. These are the only cables that were attached to the ceiling rose along with the original light.

Since the original ceiling rose was broken on removal I purchase a new one and have attached the ceiling light as follows:

Ceiling Light
Live > 1st Live terminal
Neutral > Neutral
Earth > Earth, neutral, and earth

Cable from switch I think?
Live > 1st Loop terminal
Neutral> 2nd Live terminal
Earth > Earth

Cable from Junction box
Live >2nd Loop terminal
Neutral >2nd Neutral terminal
Earth > Earth

there are two bedrooms on the 1st floor only and they run on the same circuit as the hallway light. when I switch on the electric the switches for the hallway does not work, but if I try the switch for the 1st and 2nd bedroom they switch the hallway light on and off.

If I wire the Junction box cable so that its Neutral cable goes to the 2nd Live terminal, and the switch cable to the loop and neutral terminals I get the same result.

If I just put both neutral wires from the Junction box and the cable that I believe to be the switch into the neutral terminals, the two live wires still in the loop terminals and earth to earth - leaving the live terminals with only the ceiling light live going to it - the lights in the 2 bedrooms are operational but the ceiling light does not work at all from down stairs or upstairs.

I have ran out of ideas on how I can get this circuit to work so that all lights are operations off their respective switches

Sponsored Links
Naaa didn't get it sorted - have called in the professionals- basically was not aware that black wires could be live or neutral in a lighting circuit if I knew this then I could have identified the switch cable using my multi functional wire tester doh!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back