Outside drain gets blocked, not enough space/gravity to clear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've just moved into a new house and found that the outside drain, serving the downstairs toilet, continuously gets blocked. We've had a handy man in today who also used to work for the previous owners and he explained that it needs clearing every week as there is not enough space in pipes/downflow and with the angle of the pipes not having enough depth/gravity for it to flow easily. He's cleared it and showed me inside the manhole cover so I kind of get what he means, I hope I'm explaining it ok. He said it's just the way the drains were built on this estate (1970s)

The problem is he said he used to have to clear it every week for the previous owner and that seems a bit silly to me to have to do that. But equally I can't imagine what could be done about it. Has anyone else had a similar problem and found a solution?

Sponsored Links
Buy yourself a pressure washer hose extension, leave the hose in the drain. Connect up the pressure washer weekly?

Or more regularly flush the toilet when there's no poo/paper in it.

Discourage people in the house from using reems and reems of bog roll when just a few sheets will do.

Don't put ANY wet wipes down, even those that have "flushable" printed on the packet (which should be outlawed!).

Nozzle

I would speak to neighbours to see if what he says about the estate is true.
Seems unlikely anyone would move into a new house and just accept that the drains didn't work, but admittedly the flush would have used a lot more water back then.

Unfortunately I think the problem has been confounded a bit by the fact that the flush on the upstairs toilet broke almost as soon as we moved in so we have been pretty much exclusively using the downstairs Going forward yes we will try to use less paper, flush more often, I just didn’t know if there would be a more permanent solution.

We will speak to the neighbours as well, interesting what you say about the old flush because the downstairs toilet appears to be the original pink Ideal Standard toilet with the old style cistern, the flush is great! But clearly not enough.

Sponsored Links
Get a second Opinion. The 'Handyman' is probably hoping you'll pay him to attend every week, (obviously there wont be a problem as he'll say he's cleaned it out. Regardless of whether it needs doing or not.)

Find a Drain Company, (not one of the Franchises or anyone with A1 in the name), ideally a local independant, and ask them for their opinion. (Don't tell them any of the previous history), and see what they say. A CCTV survey will probably be needed. Ask for a copy of the video if they do a survey. Possibly a backfall on the pipework, may be something else, might be a scale build up (easily sorted), but we dont know without more information.

See whats said and come back to us.

Thank you, that's great advice, I know how to open it and check it now so at least I won't just get conned into having it cleared. I will try and get a recommendation for a local drain company to look.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back